New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

OKIE here, learning these motors

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OKIE here, learning these motors

Am looking for a complete 4.8l or 5.3l engine and ECM for an upcoming swap.....It's going in a 2800Lb car. So I figure the 4.8l would even be plenty....What RPM can I get out of a 4.8L? I read that the 5.3l had more aftermarket backup, but the 4.8l Rods were destroked and could rev higher/////any input greatly appreciated!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:14 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to PT.net...you might try posting over in the gm section too.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site. Be sure to use search. Gather some knowledge to go with your questions.
Search for shift points. and search specific sections of the forum for more refined results.

Where you located in OKC? I work over in the Village
Old 01-28-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

hey fellow okie hit me up some time GnR on sheilds is where i bought my 6.0 they are good people
Old 01-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Default 4.8 and 5.3

I see that the 5.3l motors are being swapped for 6.0l....but I see alot more postings for the 4.8L motors....I live in NW OKC near the Village. I have the LS1 intake and will need info on how to swap in the injectors/fuel rails to this intake. I am using a Corvette C5 Bellhousing and a custom adapter plate I CNC'd to adapt to a Porsche 944 Torque tube, so The 4.8l should be a nice little screamer for this car.....I also hope that I can get an ECM and harness from a truck that had a manual transmission and I don't have to reflash even the ECM for the swap....What ya think?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by xschop
I see that the 5.3l motors are being swapped for 6.0l....but I see alot more postings for the 4.8L motors....I live in NW OKC near the Village. I have the LS1 intake and will need info on how to swap in the injectors/fuel rails to this intake. I am using a Corvette C5 Bellhousing and a custom adapter plate I CNC'd to adapt to a Porsche 944 Torque tube, so The 4.8l should be a nice little screamer for this car.....I also hope that I can get an ECM and harness from a truck that had a manual transmission and I don't have to reflash even the ECM for the swap....What ya think?

You're going need to flash it to at least turn the vats off, if you're not running Evap, you'll have to turn it off too, what about rear O2's? If it's a non EGR Ls2 intake and the truck motor had EGR, you'll have to turn it off. What are you going to do for a VSS? The PCM like to know how fast its going or if its going, so it can take over idle control, of course with your setup, it's most likelystick, so it could rely on the clurch switch, but you're not always holding the clutch in
Old 01-31-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you got one heck of a project you're working on! You know, its just a suggestion but it might be easier to adapt a LT1 to your car instead of one of the LS1 engines. Just food for thought....
Old 01-31-2009, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Default Motors

I am picking up a clean 40K mile 5.3l today, it does not have the harness or ECM. I appreciate the input and will be needing more. Where should I start a build thread where people can help me here on Engine related tech. I saw the basic terms for engine diagnostics and that's a big help. This will be an easier build than the custom ground-up built streetfighter I did last year, now I get to terrorize/cruise the streets while I am building this monster.......I hope to get true 325-350rwhp with this engine ...originally the car had 140HP, but could and still can outcorner any vette. Funny,but the new vettes are designed after this car's 25 year-old Torque tube design........Here's last year's handywork, it is 6-motorcycles-in-1 using all new parts and 1100cc solid crank engine, Entire Hayabusa front end and Triumph ST single side swingarm/ adapted to a Ducati 200 monster tire......

Old 02-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Teching In

sick bike.

what car is the 5.3 going in?
Old 02-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Default donor car

Porsche 944. Just need help with engine setup, all other swap parts/maching have been done to swap the motor.

Quick Reply: OKIE here, learning these motors