New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

New guy here, seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 08:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New guy here, seeking advice

Hey I'm new here so not so sure how it exactly works but I just want some advice, I kinda just got laughed at in a Facebook group so hopefully I can get some help here. I just got a 2004 Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 with 148xxx miles. I want to keep it daily drivable but I want to reach high 450-500 HP to the wheels. I heard that cams can get you pretty close and also would like to get that chop sound as well. I plan on maintaining it as long as I can and cleaning up the cosmetic issues. I'd also like to upgrade a few other things like suspension and exhaust (not loud obnoxious ones, just nice cool sound) What do you guys think? What cams, suspension and exhaust would work for me? Thanks in advance.

The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Ulyses
Hey I'm new here so not so sure how it exactly works but I just want some advice, I kinda just got laughed at in a Facebook group so hopefully I can get some help here. I just got a 2004 Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 with 148xxx miles. I want to keep it daily drivable but I want to reach high 450-500 HP to the wheels. I heard that cams can get you pretty close and also would like to get that chop sound as well. I plan on maintaining it as long as I can and cleaning up the cosmetic issues. I'd also like to upgrade a few other things like suspension and exhaust (not loud obnoxious ones, just nice cool sound) What do you guys think? What cams, suspension and exhaust would work for me? Thanks in advance.
Wait, why did you get laughed at? Those numbers are not "that" far off from being realistic, I believe.

Some guys here will give you good advice on what cam. Very knowledgeable folks here. But from the little information I know: cam, converter, rear axle ratio and I can't recall what else... all that stuff works together. You are staying naturally aspirated, right?
What part of the State are in BTW?

Last edited by strutaeng; 02-07-2023 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-07-2023, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by strutaeng
Wait, why did you get laughed at? Those numbers are not "that" far off from being realistic, I believe.

Some guys here will give you good advice on what cam. Very knowledgeable folks here. But from the little information I know: cam, converter, rear axle ratio and I can't recall what else. You are staying naturally aspirated, right?

What part of the State are in BTW?
Idk they just replied with jokes like "add sticker to get 800hp" idk why, probably wrong group. But I just want to get a bit more power while staying daily drivable so I'd like to stay NA.
And I'm from Longview Texas close to Dallas.
strutaeng (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

@RDF1 is a Pro at this. Maybe he can chime in. Others as well...

Longview? Cool. I've got a cousin in Marshall. I haven't been out there in a while though. Last Fall I was out in Tyler for my son's school retreat. I like East Texas. 👍
Old 02-07-2023, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by strutaeng
@RDF1 is a Pro at this. Maybe he can chime in. Others as well...

Longview? Cool. I've got a cousin in Marshall. I haven't been out there in a while though. Last Fall I was out in Tyler for my son's school retreat. I like East Texas. 👍
Ah okay yeah they're really close to Longview. I'm from Houston but one here finishing my last semester of University but I really like it here less crowded haha. Well hopefully I can get some help, was this the right place to post this or should I do it somewhere else? Thanks for being so nice.
strutaeng (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 09:34 PM
DuNnO

Received 454 Likes on 367 Posts

Welcome to the site!
This is the best place to spend all your money hahahaha..

So for a little info a stock LS3 6.2L with CNC heads, 1-7/8" headers and a 227/237 cam makes 480RWHP on E85.

What kinda budget you working with before we throw out parts list.
strutaeng (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by RDF1
Welcome to the site!
This is the best place to spend all your money hahahaha..

So for a little info a stock LS3 6.2L with CNC heads, 1-7/8" headers and a 227/237 cam makes 480RWHP on E85.

What kinda budget you working with before we throw out parts list.
Hello, ah okay. Well I don't have a specific budget I was thinking more of building it as I go, I'd like to see some estimates more or less. So like what should I run if I want to get 400 HP rwhp while staying reliable and daily drivable? And will 400 feel fun for a daily and if that's even feasible? For context I had a 07 gt mustang with 300 rwhp and thought it was decently fast. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:03 PM
DuNnO

Received 454 Likes on 367 Posts

If you wanted to do a little at a time i would write out a plan and stick with it..
If it were me, i would get tuning software and tinker with it.

Shooting for a HP goal can be fun and you can get there with poor performance along the way. The right heads, cam setup for 500hp with the wrong torque converter and it will be not fast.
Going with the right torque converter with a heads/cam setup for 400hp and it would outrun the 500hp thats not setup correctly.
I get several guys a week that want their truck tuned and they have a cam thats too big for their converter/gear/tire setup. And its slower than stock.

Also for a easy 500rwhp on a simple setup id go turbo.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDF1:
strutaeng (02-07-2023), zz454Chevelle67 (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by RDF1
If you wanted to do a little at a time i would write out a plan and stick with it..
If it were me, i would get tuning software and tinker with it.

Shooting for a HP goal can be fun and you can get there with poor performance along the way. The right heads, cam setup for 500hp with the wrong torque converter and it will be not fast.
Going with the right torque converter with a heads/cam setup for 400hp and it would outrun the 500hp thats not setup correctly.
I get several guys a week that want their truck tuned and they have a cam thats too big for their converter/gear/tire setup. And its slower than stock.

Also for a easy 500rwhp on a simple setup id go turbo.
Ah I see could you help me make one? Is there a platform in which I could contact you directly?
Old 02-08-2023, 07:59 AM
Launching!

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

"Build as you go" start with long tube headers, transmission cooler, and rear gears. Those will compliment the other parts you add later. Likely you have 3.08s or 3.42s. Some 4.10s would really wake it up.

When choosing the camshaft and convertor you'll need to consider how you plan to use the truck too. For example, will you be doing any towing and if so how much weight? Is this going to be seeing 1/4mile where you might wind out 3 gears at high rpm, or mostly shorter acceleration distances where mid-range is more important?

As RDF1 said though, easiest route for a daily 500rwhp is a turbo. You can get that without even changing the camshaft. With NA you'll need heads, intake, throttle body, along with the other stuff.
The following 3 users liked this post by 68Formula:
strutaeng (02-08-2023), Ulyses (02-09-2023), zz454Chevelle67 (02-10-2023)

Quick Reply: New guy here, seeking advice