New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

HELP!!.....2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab LM7 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!.....2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab LM7 questions

looking for answers in my current situation........
my truck currently has just over 200k mi. and has had the “5.3L lifter tick” for about 35k mi. now!
i’m considering putting a remanned motor in it because my plan is to keep the truck for awhile!!
my questions are:
-what obstacles am I up against if I decided to put a 6.0 L in it instead of just replacing the 5.3?
-are there any aftermarket header companies out there that make a short and/or long tube set of headers that doesn’t make changing the spark plugs a pain in the ***?
-has anyone had experience with speed engineerings true dual exhaust system for my truck and what have been the results?
-if I were to put this true dual exhaust on the truck, what problems might I encounter with the o2 sensors or does it have locations to put the sensors in?
-tuner tips and suggestions....... I’ve been told that I can get 20-45hp just from a simple tune on a stock plant.

my initial plan for my daily driver is to put a remanned 5.3 in it with the speed engineering true dual under it, do a CAI and a tune and just drive it......OR should I just rebuild and stud the motor that’s in the truck and just roll out...... the remanned motor comes with a 5 yr/unlimited mile warranty, which is what is swaying me towards this part of my situation
any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated..... just too many damn options to make a clear and level headed decision
Old 11-08-2017, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

A 6.0 swap is about as easy as it sounds, everything would swap right in. You just have to have it tuned for the swap. It's as simple as opening a 6.0 file and copy the information over in the 5.3. Then it could be custom tuned from there is required or wanted.

Gaining 20-25ish sounds resonable from a decent tune but doubtful that you'd ever see that 45hp mark because you just can make magic horsepower here.

There is a massive thread about the speed engineering headers and dual exhaust, if you can't find the info you want there I don't know what to tell you. Tons of people have bought the kits with great results.

As far as your motor is concerned, it seems like a waste of money to just toss your motor that runs completely fine and swap it for a reman engine. It would cost you all but a few hundred dollars in total to install brand new lifters, head gaskets, head bolts, intake gaskets on your current motor. That's like 1/10th the cost of a new reman 5.3.

200k is childs plays with a 5.3, barely broke in as far as the bottom end is concerned.
The following users liked this post:
phats130 (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ agree with the comment above