New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

96 Tahoe 5.7 Vortec engine mod ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Tahoe 5.7 Vortec engine mod ideas

I am completely new to engine mods and completely dumb to how everything works, however I recently purchased a 6 in lift and would like a few more horses to spin some tires in the mud and maybe a little hauling. I have about a 2800 budget to play with. What would be my best setup to get max horses and performance from my build?

Last edited by Orlando Cepeda Palm; 06-30-2020 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 06-30-2020, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 549 Likes on 475 Posts

Gears. If you went with a lift and larger tires you need the gears to compliment that.

Depending on what you went with it probably needs 4.10's or 4.56's.

Tuning is kinda limited on those trucks but you can mod it in a million different ways. Those 350's have just about everything you want for bolt on parts. It's the fuel system side that and tuning that isn't really there. A common mod is switching to a newer P01 aka 411 computer and go with a port fuel injection intake manifold.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by FFDP
Gears. If you went with a lift and larger tires you need the gears to compliment that.

Depending on what you went with it probably needs 4.10's or 4.56's.

Tuning is kinda limited on those trucks but you can mod it in a million different ways. Those 350's have just about everything you want for bolt on parts. It's the fuel system side that and tuning that isn't really there. A common mod is switching to a newer P01 aka 411 computer and go with a port fuel injection intake manifold.
I need new gears on the rear end? I’m planning on running 33 tires. What other type of mods would you recommend, like I said I’m completely new to this.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

If the truck is a 4X4 you'd have to do both front and rear as they must match.

I mentioned changing the gear ratio because if you lifted a truck and added larger tires than the factory you are making the stock gear ratio worse. Or another way to put you are making the gear ratio taller with a larger tire making it slower and have less get up and go.

This is a crude example because I didn't do the exact math here but if say the truck has 3.42's but you put 35in tires on it, now it's really a 3.08 gear ratio because of the taller tires. To make up for that you would re-gear the truck to 4.10's or 4.56's to give the truck it's grunt back.

I think a 6in lift with 33's is going to look super small. Factory tires are already 30-31in and people stuff 33's in there even without a lift. More reading and research will need to be done on your end to figure out the best thing to do.

Adding power gets spendy and you have to know exactly what you can and can't do with the factory limitations on tuning.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by FFDP
If the truck is a 4X4 you'd have to do both front and rear as they must match.

I mentioned changing the gear ratio because if you lifted a truck and added larger tires than the factory you are making the stock gear ratio worse. Or another way to put you are making the gear ratio taller with a larger tire making it slower and have less get up and go.

This is a crude example because I didn't do the exact math here but if say the truck has 3.42's but you put 35in tires on it, now it's really a 3.08 gear ratio because of the taller tires. To make up for that you would re-gear the truck to 4.10's or 4.56's to give the truck it's grunt back.

I think a 6in lift with 33's is going to look super small. Factory tires are already 30-31in and people stuff 33's in there even without a lift. More reading and research will need to be done on your end to figure out the best thing to do.

Adding power gets spendy and you have to know exactly what you can and can't do with the factory limitations on tuning.
this is what I came up with based on what you told me. If there is something else you would like to recommend or specific part that would be helpful because like I said I don’t have any knowledge about this. The reason I got the lift is because a friend told me it would be necessary running 24x12.5 so that I can turn completely

Last edited by Orlando Cepeda Palm; 07-01-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's hard to say just buy this or buy that if you don't have a clue what we are talking about. Some things you'd have to buy are very specific and you'd need to know exactly what you need to get all parts of the job done. Like gear sets, bearing kits and that sort of stuff. You'd be best calling around because it doesn't sound like you are going to install any of this stuff, so a shop would source the parts and install them for you.

I think some of that money you have saved up should go towards maintenance items now that I know you want to put some stupid heavy rims and tires on this truck. Those huge wheels are going to destroy ball joints and wheel bearings if the parts show any kind of wear right now. Hopefully the lift kit comes with some of the new parts and you can source whatever it doesn't come with. Like wheel bearings, tie rod ends, ball joints, sway bar links.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:20 AM
Teching In

I have a '99 k2500 with 32" tires. It has 4.10 gears, and I wish they were lower. With bigger tires - I'd go with 4.56 (or even lower) if you plan to tow much.