MULTIMEDIA (truck related) Post your Truck pictures and videos (PG-13)

Hmmm Carnage? KaBOOM!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake99
Did they say what rpm it was balanced for? Third gear is 1 to 1 so whatever rpm your engine runs is what the drive shaft spins, iv had my truck to 7100 in third with the stock driveshaft under 600hp with no problems?? you must of just got a bad one.
Originally Posted by kbracing96
What happens, is when they get so high in RPM, they start to get a harmonic to them and then start to "jump rope" and the tube fails in the middle like that. Then all hell breaks loose!! lol
Drive shafts need to be high speed balanced if you are going to take them to high speed. I don't care what any mom and pop shop says about having equipment that "doesn't need to spin to high rpm because it has good sensors" or whatever, everything in motion has a resonant frequency. Low rpm balances won't pick up on that resonant frequency, or "critical speed" in drive train talk because it doesn't rear its ugly head until later on.
I would ask the place that built/balanced the shaft the exact details on how they balance it. Don't buy that low rpm crap.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just looked back at my logs and noticed that i was logging Driveshaft Rpms after one of these threads..... The highest the Driveshaft RPMs got up to was 5113 Rpms at 132 Mph, this is when it went Kaboooooooooom...... Crazy thing is there was no clank clank or any other noises, i reckon it just slid right on out and in the loosers lane LOL.... Everyone was like where in the hell is the Slip yoke, so i got home and started tearing everything out that night to inspect the damage and it was in the TRANNY! how in the hell does this happen? The loosest part on the damn driveshaft stays in and its going with the force of the truck!

Another interesting fact is u joints were spicer and both greasable!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 PM
LS ADDICT/BUILDER

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry to hear,glad nothing else happen,stay safe my friend and keep on going.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's just going to be one of them things.. Just have to build stronger.. I just wonder why it killed the trans housing & oil pan? Maybe that tight chain I loved so much
Old 07-12-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Regular

Damn glad to see your ok my podnuh's ds let go at 130 and the passenger in the back seat got knocked out by his own knee from the drifeshaft smashing the cab underneath his feet ***** scary
Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still in shock at the amount of damage that happened. Ouch!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man that sucks. I would have to say it looks like a driveshaft issue to me. Were you having issues with a balance problem? Don't hold me to this, but I thought that driveshaft shops balanced at several speeds. Is your converter OK?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Ryan I see you got it to shift out of 2nd gear lmao! Man thats crazy, glad to see you guys are alright. I'll have to pass by and check it out later on.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Converter looks fine, it was also the only thing holding the front of the trans up after the ds let go, im shipping the mangled driveshaft back to the guys who built it, i had to stuff it back into the tube and tape the crap out of it...... If all goes well they will warranty it too.... Upgrades will be Roll Cage, chromemoly slip yoke, chromemoly pinion yoke, solid ungreasable u-joints 1350 all the way around or bigger, mid plate between trans and motor, solid motor mounts on engine, tubular ds loop possibly front and back of trans this time, have no clue on driveshaft specs yet.... I did go buy me another 6.0/4L80e combo today though..... The 6.0 will be for my wifes future bracket car and the tranny will be for me to build up again for the truck..... And i also thank god for letting me be ok, this could have been a very dangerous accident!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah that is for sure, at those speeds i could of been bad had the wheels locked up. With the listed parts you better not brake it again!

Quick Reply: Hmmm Carnage? KaBOOM!