Notices
Midsize & Compact Trucks Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body

Not sure If this belongs....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure If this belongs....

Hey guys im new to this thread and trucks all together. I've had many fast cars over the years but was never into trucks. Well life caught up with me and I needed a truck. I started hanging out with some guys who were big into racing trucks...and now the speed bug has bit me again.

My truck is a 2007 tacoma single cab 2.7L 5 speed trans. I know this is not a
GM truck, but I looked in the import section and didn't look helpful. I will be swapping in a 5.3L and doing a single rear mount turbo. I'm also alot more comfortable with GM after building 3 GM cars.

I've been trying to do research but I really can't find anyone who has done this. I'm not sure if it's because it can't be done? Or just no one has? Lol
I guess the closest thing is a S10 5.7 swap which is why I am here.
Any hints or suggestions?

I already had a 5.3L from a 2004 Sierra with wiring harness and trans.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WSix225
Hey guys im new to this thread and trucks all together. I've had many fast cars over the years but was never into trucks. Well life caught up with me and I needed a truck. I started hanging out with some guys who were big into racing trucks...and now the speed bug has bit me again.

My truck is a 2007 tacoma single cab 2.7L 5 speed trans. I know this is not a
GM truck, but I looked in the import section and didn't look helpful. I will be swapping in a 5.3L and doing a single rear mount turbo. I'm also alot more comfortable with GM after building 3 GM cars.

I've been trying to do research but I really can't find anyone who has done this. I'm not sure if it's because it can't be done? Or just no one has? Lol
I guess the closest thing is a S10 5.7 swap which is why I am here.
Any hints or suggestions?

I already had a 5.3L from a 2004 Sierra with wiring harness and trans.
i've never seen it done but if you're handy with a torch, grinder and welder then anything's possible. interesting project anyway. i'd imagine the toughest part will end up being the frustrating little stuff.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Welcome, sounds like a pretty cool project. This section is fine, your build could go in a couple sections but this one is good. Post up some pictures of it, we like pictures. haha.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah thats what I was thinking!!
Im pretty good with torch, grinder, and welder. I actually just got a new set up Miller 180 Tig welder. Just did a couple cages for a friend.
The problem is that it is my daily driver (for now) because I can not force myself to sell my fbody. The actual swap will take place over winter break and until then I will be getting all the parts and accessories I need. From start to finish the truck has to be running one month later. So I dont want to waste time not having all the necessary parts.
I will def post pics, but not much to post yet. lol
Just a dirty 5.3L in the shop and the cheapest model 2007 Tacoma they made bone stock. lol

But the truck is a standard and I would really like to keep it that way, any suggestions on manual 6 speed transmissions to bolt up to a 5.3L??
Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

I see a bunch of guys running T-56 Trans with the 5.3 swap.
These things are not cheap....
But does anyone know if I need to change the bell housing to accept the 5.3 or will it bolt right up??
Old 10-07-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe as long as it came from an LS series motor it'll bolt up no problem. Cool project though!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:04 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool project. Snag a 6 speed from a '98 or newer 4th gen F-body and you're set.