INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Why do I keep trashing the same rocker arm?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do I keep trashing the same rocker arm?

I did my cam install and dod delete on my 08 5.3. Torqued all the rockers incorrectly the first time and threw a rocker the next day.. Pulled all of them back down and retorqued them correctly to 22 ft lbs right? It ran fine for the next 150 miles then I changed my oil and threw another rocker arm in the same spot!! Whats the deal? All my threads look good and nothing looks damaged. I am running 7.425 PR on a TR 219/224 604 609 115 lsa cam. Stock rockers. And I sure wish they made pen magnets that were better bc while I was getting the trash out of my head the flipping end came off and is now stuck to the back side of the head bolt and I cant grab it with anything!!!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by afterburn84
the flipping end came off and is now stuck to the back side of the head bolt and I cant grab it with anything!!!!!
Im sorry but that made me laugh. Sounds like something that would happen to me.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:10 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible that the head of one of those pen magnets is stuck on top of the lifter that's accompanying that rocker arm? Sounds like a possible geometry issue if you keep trashing the same rocker
Old 04-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Launching!

why did you put 7.425 PR....most run 7.4 some run the 7.375 but i did the DOD to my 08 with 7.4 and have never had a problem OEM rockers
Old 04-09-2011, 02:15 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I argee with Bud on geometry, what is your preload with those pushrods?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Just got off the phone with John at Thunder Racing and he said that the 7.425 is the correct length for the cam that I am running with my stock heads... Im am still confused about geometry? How can only one rocker be affected if it was due to wrong PR length or geometry? I don't know what my preload is either..... What have I done wrong?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried loctite?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Have you tried loctite?

Is that the blue stuff? LOL Yes Loctite has been applied to all of them.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Ok, check this out.... Soo while I was buttoning up the headers on my initial install my no longer best friend was supposedly torquing the rockers. He torqued them to 30ft lbs and I just found out.. Sooo the reason for the first rocker to poo the bed was probably due to this.... After the first one went I replaced it with a new oem one and retorqued every single one of them back to 22 ft lbs and let it ride. Now that I have trashed the second one on the exact location of the first I am starting to think that the rail for the rockers are the reason for the second one getting trashed? The rail doesnt look too bad but it has been shaved down slightly on the outer edge from the rocker arm grinding on it. Im thinking maybe the rail should be replaced. I am at a stand still and I am trying to figure out what is making it sling the bearings on my rockers rather than just keep replacing them....Im gonna post some pics of the damage
Old 04-09-2011, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Also I just remembered something.. Call me crazy as hell if you want but listen to this... When I finished the install of everything there was this vent on the valley cover from thunder racing that I got for the DOD delete. I took the red shipping cap off of it and let it be for the time being... Drove the truck for a whole day and the next afternoon after cleaning it up I told myself to put that lil red shipping cap back over the vent. Started the truck up and made it 5 miles and thats when my first rocker arm went. Replaced the arm and took the " lil red cap" back off and left the vent open. Drove the truck for 4 weeks around 200 miles and ran perfectly. I stopped by advanced to pick up new oil and filter and I saw this lil chrome filter that looked like it would work perfectly on the exposed vent. I bought it, changed my oil, filter and put the new lil handy dandy filter over the vent. I drove the truck to the store around 5 miles away and trashed another rocker arm in the same exact place? WTH is going on?Dont tell me this vent is the reason my intake rocker on my #6 keeps getting chewed up..... This sounds ridiculous to me but maybe someone knows whats going on...

Quick Reply: Why do I keep trashing the same rocker arm?