INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Who makes had good cylinder heads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
I called Richard and ran this by him and he pretty much talked me into running the 245 Edlebrock head on my Camaro, and running the Darts on my truck as long as the CR won't be through the roof. Someone verify what the CR would be on flat top LS2 pistons, 62 cc heads, and whatever gasket I would/could run. The stock MLS is .054, is there any thicker gasket to run? I know they make a 4 layer gasket but how thick is it? I would like to keep the CR no more than 11.1 since I am running this in a truck that I fully intend on towing with throughout the year in Alabama summers with some 100 temps in the middle of the summer. Just want to check, double check and recheck. Would PTV clearence be an issue? The cam has .605 lift on intake and .600 exhaust with stock rockers.
11:1 according to this site, plug in your numbers http://www.c5frc.com/calculators/Com...Calculator.htm
Old 12-04-2008, 08:42 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to Pat G he said that my CR would be 11.3 and my DCR would be 9.0. He said it would be too high for towing. My motor is using flat top LS2 pistons. The LS2 stock is 10.9 with 64 cc heads, 11.3 sounds about right with the stock LS2 baseline. Richard said that we could maybe recess the valve a little, the machine shop could cut me some reliefs in the pistons and maybe I can get the CR back in line with 10.7 or 11.1. I am just afriad that while towing it will create such a load that detonation would be an issue and I wouldn't be as happy with the overall setup. I asked Pat G about running a thicker head gasket and he said it would make the quench area larger and the motor more knock sensitive. This is so far over my head, so I am kind of at the mercy of people in the know. It seems that mid to high 10s is about the max you want to run on a heavy truck that you intend to tow with. So I would like to keep it at 11.1 to 10.7 for that reason.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:02 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
According to Pat G he said that my CR would be 11.3 and my DCR would be 9.0. He said it would be too high for towing. My motor is using flat top LS2 pistons. The LS2 stock is 10.9 with 64 cc heads, 11.3 sounds about right with the stock LS2 baseline. Richard said that we could maybe recess the valve a little, the machine shop could cut me some reliefs in the pistons and maybe I can get the CR back in line with 10.7 or 11.1. I am just afriad that while towing it will create such a load that detonation would be an issue and I wouldn't be as happy with the overall setup. I asked Pat G about running a thicker head gasket and he said it would make the quench area larger and the motor more knock sensitive. This is so far over my head, so I am kind of at the mercy of people in the know. It seems that mid to high 10s is about the max you want to run on a heavy truck that you intend to tow with. So I would like to keep it at 11.1 to 10.7 for that reason.
PTV clearance does really become an issue with lift, more about timing.. SO what cam? 220 226 at what lsa?

It sounds like fly cutting the pistons for valve relief is your best choice... OR New pistons?

Quench is how close the piston gets to the head when at TDC. If you can get it close enough, the turbulence from the near contact will aid in the mixing of air/fuel and have a more even burn.

How far down are the pistons in the cylinder bores? or are they out? Quench is something that takes A LOT of measure to accurately plan for. Basically You want to shoot for .040-.025, I've hears of tighter, but damn that is getting close....
Old 12-04-2008, 09:58 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cam is a 220/226 .605 .600 on a 112 LSA. As far as how much the pistons come out of the hole, because the motor has been assembled yet. The motor hasn't been decked, and the pistons are stock so I don't think it would be any different than a stock I would think. I was thinking about flycutting the pistons to get some CC dish in the pistons if I couldn't get the combustion chambers down to 67 or close CCs.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:24 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best To check PTV it may be close depending on pistons

Everyblock is different (even stock) as far as deck hight, masure is the only why to find out for sure.