TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Looking for guidance in forced induction

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Looking for guidance in forced induction

Ok, so I'm new here. I'm looking for some performance in the form of forced induction. I do tow a good bit with my 02 Silverado Z71. I have hands on a small turbo. It's nothing bigger than a 35mm. I don't know a whole lot about boost or what it takes to set one up. I have a sleeved 5.3..... I made a mistake when cleaning up the block to rebuild it and was a touch off on a couple cylinders, I went back and over bored all 8 and sleeved them all. I have a monster built SS 4L65e trans, 4.10 gears in the front and rear, volant box intake, true dual exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex muffler (dual/dual), no cats, and a 6.0 power tune using EFI Live. I'm willing to drop some cash on a good new turbo, if I have to, but I'd like to use what I have. But the rest of things, I'd like to get a better price for some quality parts. Are there any particular brands that yall would suggest I look into? And what would be a good single set up for the 5.3?
Old 07-28-2016, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Just get ya matched pair of cheap 2 stroke leaf blowers at Walmart, rig 'em side by side in the bed, fab up a 'Y' manifold out of cardboard, aluminum foil and duct tape, run some regular clothes dryer ducting from your custom manifold to the air intake, reinforce the duct with...... DUCT TAPE.....
Carefully synchronize TWO bootlaces to the throttle triggers on the leaf blowers, arrange a lever and bellcrank assembly so that the truck throttle translates motion to the leaf blower throttles, and Bob's yer uncle:
Supercharged Chevy for 300 dollars,
and you still have half a roll of duct tape left over.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:54 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullpower
Just get ya matched pair of cheap 2 stroke leaf blowers at Walmart, rig 'em side by side in the bed, fab up a 'Y' manifold out of cardboard, aluminum foil and duct tape, run some regular clothes dryer ducting from your custom manifold to the air intake, reinforce the duct with...... DUCT TAPE.....
Carefully synchronize TWO bootlaces to the throttle triggers on the leaf blowers, arrange a lever and bellcrank assembly so that the truck throttle translates motion to the leaf blower throttles, and Bob's yer uncle:
Supercharged Chevy for 300 dollars,
and you still have half a roll of duct tape left over.
shoot far! i'm gonna see if'n i can rig that up this weekend!
Old 07-29-2016, 10:20 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Youll need at least a 60mm turbo to be any good on your engine, and depending on your goals something in the 68-70mm range is a good place to start and will get you to 500ish.