INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Upcoming project...what to do with an LQ4...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:49 PM
formerly Moze (2/24/2012)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upcoming project...what to do with an LQ4...

I'm selling my '03 Silverado ECSB. Had basically everything done to it except forced induction, but it was too heavy for my liking (Z71 & Ext. Cab), so I'm selling it and will be looking for (preferably) a 99-02 stepside Silvy regular cab 2wd.

I bought the setup in my sig and it's basically in storage waiting for it's time to go into the "new" truck. The guy I bought it from, said it was making 400rwhp, and running 12.8 on motor and 11.8 with a 150 shot.

So just curious what route some you guys would go. Supercharger? Turbo?

My current thinking is getting it bored and doing a 370 build with forged internals. I know a lot of you guys have already been where I am, so just wondering if there is anything you would do different, etc.

I look forward to your responses.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

I would run the 6.0L with a front mount turbo. I would leave the engine alone other than maybe a cam swap suited to turbo. That way you can get the new truck dialed in and up and running without re-building the motor from scratch first. Just limit the boost to safe levels until you add forged parts down the road.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id either go with the front mount turbo or a procharger F1-R

either do a cammed LQ4 + the FI of choice at once then get the 370 later on OR do the forged 370 first and then get the FI of choice. forged 370 + FI of choice is IMO going to be too much to be adding at one time. anything goes wrong and its going to be hell to troubleshoot it from everything being changed.

either one of the FI's that i mentioned could benefit well from a small(75-100) shot of nitrous on top of the boost when you get a forged shortblock

also id go with an aftermarket casting for heads ( AFRs, Edelbrocks, etc.)
Old 10-06-2007, 11:07 PM

Thanks guys. The motor is currently out of the vehicle, so it would seem to make more sense to do the internals now, while it's out. So I'll likely be going that route. Not sure what kind of HP the stock rods, rings, and pistons can take...maybe that the question I should be asking too.

And I have PRC heads - won't they be suitable nightrunner?

Thanks again for the comments.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Mr. Obvious

how much boost do you want to run? stock casting heads start lifting at about 14psi. head studs will helps some but only a little bit

you gotta link to what heads you have, i think PRC has ported stockers and some ported edelbrock castings also
Old 10-07-2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by nightrunner
how much boost do you want to run? stock casting heads start lifting at about 14psi. head studs will helps some but only a little bit

you gotta link to what heads you have, i think PRC has ported stockers and some ported edelbrock castings also
I'm pretty sure it's THESE.

He said Stage 2 in his description, but they don't sell (not that I see anyway) a ''Stage 2''...

Not sure on how much boost I want to push...but I want to keep the parts that are on it. Not really interested in replacing heads, etc. Just boring, balancing, and going forged.

Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Mr. Obvious

are you going to add head studs, they help a little with the head lifting, from what i hear.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:50 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nightrunner
...forged 370 + FI of choice is IMO going to be too much to be adding at one time. anything goes wrong and its going to be hell to troubleshoot it from everything being changed.
Tell me about it!! Do one at a time, don't overcomplicated a complicated set-up to begin with.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Mr. Obvious

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Tell me about it!! Do one at a time, don't overcomplicated a complicated set-up to begin with.

lol, i was actually thinking about all the problems you were having from your truck
Old 10-07-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Also, you can have a ton of fun with a stock internal motor. My thinking is, if its together now and ain't broke, don't fix it yet. Have fun for a while, then when you want more, pull it out for a freshen up.

Quick Reply: Upcoming project...what to do with an LQ4...