INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Are Ti retainers ness and why in the hell do they cost so much????

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:40 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also what areas do the 317 heads need the most attention? We were going to mill them to a 67 CC chamber, 3 angle valve job, gasket match it intake and exhaust ports, maybe clean up the runners slightly, and I believe unshroud the valves. I am afriad to have them go too crazy because I don't want to hurt my bottom end and mid range power.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok let's back up a second. First of all, just quickly what kind of vehicle is this 6L going into? Secondly, Why are you going with XFI lobes on a cam that will more than likely be daily driven? I highly doubt you'll be running a set of heads that will support flow at a lift that high anyways and it's going to beat the crap out of your cam bearings, lifters, and the rest of your valve train. I wouldn't go anymore aggressive than XER lobes for something you would expect to survive awhile on the street. Keep the lift under or around .580ish. Now you don't need ti retainers, engine will last longer, and as a matter of fact, you can get some new beehive PAC springs from Scoggin Dickey for $130 or so (private label) and use your steel retainers which since they're so small on a beehive, weigh about the same as a fullsize ti retainer. Does this all make sense?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:11 AM
no title here

That is the cam that was recommended and I told him what vehicle and what I plan to do with it etc. It is going in my 1500 HD that I am basically building an iron LS2 for. Meaning I will have internals from a LS2. The heads I am going to run will either be worked 317s or a set of Patriots or whatever. What would the 317s off my truck sell for? Stock heads with Comp 928s? What I might do instead of paying to have my 317s worked is buy some aftermarket heads and sale mine to off set the added cost of the aftermarket heads
Old 11-21-2008, 08:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the cam your talking about would need a good set of ported heads for you to see the cams potential. if you have ls2 internals why not go with a set of ls2/ls6 heads? it will raise your compression to support a larger cam and flow just as well as 317's. the cam might be fine on stock retainers and high lift beehive springs, but with a .605 lift and the ramp rate I would look into going with a dual setup. I would probably just go with a slightly less agressive cam though.

you could probably get $200ish for your heads, maybe a little more. If I were you I would get a set of ported heads, any good set of ls1, ls2, or ls6 heads will get you alot more out of a cam and supporting mods, and raise your compression.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:24 AM
no title here

That is why I was going to have the heads milled. If you look closely at the 243 heads and the 317 heads they are identical minus the combustion chamber. The runners are the same, and the valves are the same. So that is why I was going to mill mine, have the ports matched, the runners cleaned, 3 angle valve job, and unshrouding the valves. I can imagine doing that to 317 heads would be any different that 243 heads. I wasn't going to reuse the stock heads or intake for that matter. I was going to get a TBSS intake and have it ported as well. So on flow I should be good. If I am wrong I am open to any input.