INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

thermostat; stock or cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by firebladeJJ
Good point, I didnt think of that. After a lack of winter in north Texas, I think summer is gonna be killer.
i agree ^^^^ to me its a safety precaution
Old 05-06-2017, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

for those interested heres the tune file. I compared the tune i pulled from car and a stock one from the repository. It doesnt look like much was changed. I just wanted to follow up on the story.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
g8currenttune05052017.hpt (1.30 MB, 43 views)
Old 05-06-2017, 08:48 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

There is a benefit to pre-ignition prevention with a lower temp thermostat, but realistically carbon deposits in the cylinder and the spark plug are going to be your main source of potential pre-ignition anyway so the thermostats impact will be minimal. I always run the cooler thermostat to keep the piston-wall clearance from shrinking too much at high power levels. Colder ECT doesn't improve performance at all, in fact as far as thermodynamics are concerned it hurts performance...but it keeps things from breaking when stuff gets hot.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:06 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
There is a benefit to pre-ignition prevention with a lower temp thermostat, but realistically carbon deposits in the cylinder and the spark plug are going to be your main source of potential pre-ignition anyway so the thermostats impact will be minimal. I always run the cooler thermostat to keep the piston-wall clearance from shrinking too much at high power levels. Colder ECT doesn't improve performance at all, in fact as far as thermodynamics are concerned it hurts performance...but it keeps things from breaking when stuff gets hot.
^This

And to add some more background, in just about every gasoline engine you are ultimately limited by the detonation resistance of the fuel so we do all sorts of crap to stretch that a little further like intercoolers, lower compression, clean valves and blended chambers, cooler thermostats, etc. A better solution is a more stable fuel like leaded gasoline (race gas), methanol, ethanol, etc.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Atomic
^This

And to add some more background, in just about every gasoline engine you are ultimately limited by the detonation resistance of the fuel so we do all sorts of crap to stretch that a little further like intercoolers, lower compression, clean valves and blended chambers, cooler thermostats, etc. A better solution is a more stable fuel like leaded gasoline (race gas), methanol, ethanol, etc.
I remember back in the day, we had leaded gas at the pumps. Early 80's in a small town in Oklahoma.

I think I'm just gonna leave the thermostat in there for now. Seems like if its stock or not it will probably run the same as long as the tune is adjusted for it.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:55 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

If you arent havent detonation problems then it wont make any difference.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I havent noticed any, it runs really well, except at WOT but that's a different issue I think.