Originally Posted by hirdlej
Yes and Yes
That is good to know.

Thanks
Kyle
Old 11-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sooo, factory pre-2005 lifters like ~.100 preload and LS7 lifters like ~.050 preload?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you get close to buttoning the motor up, you should always order your pushrods last. Get a pushrod measuring tool and measure your preload. There is roughly a .050 difference in lifter cup depth in the old style lifters vs. the new ones. It's beyond me why sponsors keep pimping out the 7.4's unless that's what you really need. My heads with only .007 milled, stock gasket and LQ4 shortblock running LS7 lifters needed a way shorter than stock pushrod.
Hirdlej,

Same travel (.150") for both lifters?

Rick
Old 11-19-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd be surprised if you pulled apart a full set of 16 stock lifters. The plunger travel distance amongst all 16 will all vary. This is why it's important to measure. Also there's other variables too that people need to consider when checking for preload. Just because you measured it on one valve doesn't mean that it's the going to be the same on the next valve. There may be a slight difference in valve length from one valve to the other OR depending how many times the guy working on your heads had cut the seat or if the seat cut depth is accurate. You guys really need to measure after buttoning everything else up on your builds.........
Old 11-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kylem
So after 05 GM started using the new style lifters in the trucks and is that the ls7 lifters?

Thanks
Kyle
Any pictures of the old style lifters (pre 05) to the new style lifters? Thanks!
Old 11-19-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

You'd be surprised if you pulled apart a full set of 16 stock lifters. The plunger travel distance amongst all 16 will all vary. This is why it's important to measure. Also there's other variables too that people need to consider when checking for preload. Just because you measured it on one valve doesn't mean that it's the going to be the same on the next valve. There may be a slight difference in valve length from one valve to the other OR depending how many times the guy working on your heads had cut the seat or if the seat cut depth is accurate. You guys really need to measure after buttoning everything else up on your builds.........
I'm not surprised. I got my Comp Cam pushrod checker in the mail today. I dropped a pair of used Patriot Stage ll LQ9's (already supposedly milled .030")off at my machine shop yesterday to get surfaced and a couple chambers CC'd so I can tell Rick @ Synergy what my actual compression is for my baseline tune. I'll put it together this weekend, use the pushrod checker to get my actual preload distance on a few cyclinders, get an average and then go from there. I can handle some sewing machine noise from the Patriot Golds but lifter clatter is not acceptable.

Thanks for all the good info.

Rick
Old 11-19-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by caddy03pimpin
Any pictures of the old style lifters (pre 05) to the new style lifters? Thanks!
Post #5

Rick
Old 11-20-2009, 11:17 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick_Vor
I'm not surprised. I got my Comp Cam pushrod checker in the mail today. I dropped a pair of used Patriot Stage ll LQ9's (already supposedly milled .030")off at my machine shop yesterday to get surfaced and a couple chambers CC'd so I can tell Rick @ Synergy what my actual compression is for my baseline tune. I'll put it together this weekend, use the pushrod checker to get my actual preload distance on a few cyclinders, get an average and then go from there. I can handle some sewing machine noise from the Patriot Golds but lifter clatter is not acceptable.

Thanks for all the good info.

Rick
Yea, I hear ya man, lifter clatter is unacceptable to me too. Any chance that you can take some pics of the pushrod length checker in action?
Old 11-20-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kind of like the clatter to be honest. It's the sound of performance
Old 11-20-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

So ideally you'd want to order different length pushrods for each valve, if the difference warranted that, correct? Can you order pushrods 1, 2, 4, or 8 at a time? I really get where you are going with this, if you don't have adjustable rockers to compensate, you can't get proper preload.

Quick Reply: <TECH ONLY> Lifter Preload