INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

TBSS intake vs stock

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MGMC
also what did you do with the vacum line since the tbss has the inline vs truck having the internal? i just got a 08'tbss manifold/rail/injectors/tb and will be doing this swap soon. so far i have gathered:
-drx harness
-try to re-use the truck fuel rail/injectors by drilling new holes on rail or using the tbss ones by splicing in the diffrent style connector.
-cap off fwd vacuum line and delete code/ or get the inline from another tbss.
THA VACUUM LINE YOU ARE REFERRING TO IS FOR THE EVAP SYSTEM. YOU CAN USE AN INLINE SOLENOID FROM A TBSS OR AN F-BODY. I BOUGHT THE OTHER 2 LINES FROM GM AND THEY WERE ABOUT 60 BUCKS. I HAVE A STOCK TBSS INTAKE AND FUEL RAIL AND AM RUNNING 42 LB MARINE INJECTORS. EVERYTHING FITS AND NO LEAKS AT ALL. MY TRUCK IS AN 04 WITH A RETURNLESS FUEL SYSTEM. I ALSO HAVE THE CAR STYLE T-BODY. I WANTED THE TRUCK STYLE MOSTLY FOR LOOKS BUT I COULDN'T GET IT TO WORK CORRECTLY. IT WOULD GO INTO REP MODE AFTER 4500 RPM'S. BOTH THROTTLE BODIES WORKED FINE ON A TBSS BUT ONLY THE CAR ONE WOULD WORK ON MY TRUCK.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Truckshop
THA VACUUM LINE YOU ARE REFERRING TO IS FOR THE EVAP SYSTEM. YOU CAN USE AN INLINE SOLENOID FROM A TBSS OR AN F-BODY. I BOUGHT THE OTHER 2 LINES FROM GM AND THEY WERE ABOUT 60 BUCKS. I HAVE A STOCK TBSS INTAKE AND FUEL RAIL AND AM RUNNING 42 LB MARINE INJECTORS. EVERYTHING FITS AND NO LEAKS AT ALL. MY TRUCK IS AN 04 WITH A RETURNLESS FUEL SYSTEM. I ALSO HAVE THE CAR STYLE T-BODY. I WANTED THE TRUCK STYLE MOSTLY FOR LOOKS BUT I COULDN'T GET IT TO WORK CORRECTLY. IT WOULD GO INTO REP MODE AFTER 4500 RPM'S. BOTH THROTTLE BODIES WORKED FINE ON A TBSS BUT ONLY THE CAR ONE WOULD WORK ON MY TRUCK.
That's the 2nd time I've heard of the TB not working. red04regency had the same problem as well. Can you tell us specifically what TB you used of what year model and make of car?
Old 10-30-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also what were your driving impressions of it after the swap? Just more power in the top end?
Old 10-30-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hirdlej
That's the 2nd time I've heard of the TB not working. red04regency had the same problem as well. Can you tell us specifically what TB you used of what year model and make of car?
FLACO ALSO HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. I AM NOT SURE WHAT YEAR. I GOT IT FROM A GUY OFF TECH. IT'S JUST AN LS2 CAR STYLE THROTTLE BODY. THE TRUCK THROTTLE BODY HAS A WEAKER SPRING INSIDE OF IT. AT HIGHER RPM'S THE AIR COMING IN ACTUALLY MOVES THE THROTTLE BLADE AND CAUSES IT TO GO INTO REP MODE.

AS FAR AS THE SWAP I AM NOT SURE OF ANY GAINS CAUSE I DID THE 6.0 SWAP THEN A WEEK LATER I DID THE INTAKE SWAP. THEN I FOUGHT THE THROTTLE BODY ISSUE FOR A WEEK THEN I HAD IT TUNED.

HIRDLEJ DID YOU GET MY NUMBER? GIVE ME A CALL WHEN YOU ARE READY.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

WHY ARE WE YELLING???

Originally Posted by hirdlej
I think what we're seeing here is a trend that when the efficiency of the intake port is increased, we're actually cutting our own throats because no longer is the truck intake manifold "tuned" to the proper flow range in which the heads and cam are working. Plenum size needs to increase along with intake runner volume to maintain and keep up with the new flow intake. I would have been better off I think had I left the 243 heads alone. Now that I fubared the heads by having them ported I am going to consider porting the truck intake or upgrading to a TBSS intake, whatever is more efficiently priced.
huh???????????????????111111
Old 10-30-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
WHY ARE WE YELLING???
SORRY. CAPS LOCK STAYS ON AT WORK. I AM NOT YELLING!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

Sweet man, thanks for the info. i got the same year with the returnless also. what other two lines are you refering to? Brake booster and the other one on top? those didnt carry over from the old manifold?
Old 10-30-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MGMC
Sweet man, thanks for the info. i got the same year with the returnless also. what other two lines are you refering to? Brake booster and the other one on top? those didnt carry over from the old manifold?
the line that goes from the intake to the solenoid and from the solenoid to the metal line on the firewall
Old 10-30-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The throttle body with the aluminum housing is stronger than the plastic housing style and works better. As for the REP, as long as you use the most recent X-Link you can tune out any other throttle body problem. It can be made to work properly.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zippy
The throttle body with the aluminum housing is stronger than the plastic housing style and works better. As for the REP, as long as you use the most recent X-Link you can tune out any other throttle body problem. It can be made to work properly.
i do have the most recent one. that is how i learned first hand how good there cust service is. we emailed back and forth several times over 2 or 3 days. if you search this forum and the tbss owners forum it is a pretty common issue with any modded 6.0's with the 90mm conversion and dbw.

Quick Reply: TBSS intake vs stock