PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/)
-   -   TBSS intake vs stock (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/tbss-intake-vs-stock-427086/)

sickREDsierra 10-18-2008 07:06 AM

TBSS intake vs stock

searched lots of threads, couldnt find what i wanted to know...

my motor is not making the power i thought it should, and the only major restriction i can think of is my stock 4.8 intake manifold on it.

i thought all the truck manifolds were the same, but after seeing a stock lq9 mani, it looked much bigger than mine, and the TBSS mani looked larger as well, looked like they would flow a bit more than mine.

i was looking at a TBSS mani as an upgrade, just not sure if its worth the trouble of doing, and i'm also not sure if my throttle body would bolt up without some sort of adapter plate?

whats your thoughts on this?

my motor peaked fairly low on the dyno, around 5500 if i remember right, which seemed fairly low. cam is around a 232 duration on a 112, heads are patriot cnc'd and i think they are 317 castings...

will the TBSS mani solve my problems?

GMCtrk 10-18-2008 07:29 AM

I can confirm the LQ9 intake and 4.8 intake is the same I had them side by side and I'm using the 4.8 intake on my 6.0 no problems. I've read the tbss intake is a good gain over our intakes on the top end while still keeping good low torque,

OnyxSilveradoSS 10-18-2008 07:46 AM

the differance is newer stuff is 4 bolt 90mm TB
old is 78mm 3 bolt TB

IMO the itake itself is only as good as the hole letting air in...getting a intake that uses the larger throttlebody wil have to let more air in.

did you dyno with the cut out open-might lose some power there?

sickREDsierra 10-18-2008 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by OnyxSilveradoSS (Post 4026929)
the differance is newer stuff is 4 bolt 90mm TB
old is 78mm 3 bolt TB

IMO the itake itself is only as good as the hole letting air in...getting a intake that uses the larger throttlebody wil have to let more air in.

did you dyno with the cut out open-might lose some power there?

i did both, gained 21 or so rwhp with it open.

i guess it wouldnt do me much good without a 90mm TB then. i mean, if i go with a TBSS intake and then adapt it right back down to a 78mm, i would be pissing in the wind right?

Truckshop 10-18-2008 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by sickREDsierra (Post 4026936)
i did both, gained 21 or so rwhp with it open.

i guess it wouldnt do me much good without a 90mm TB then. i mean, if i go with a TBSS intake and then adapt it right back down to a 78mm, i would be pissing in the wind right?

correct. but you could get a 90mm t-body to go with it. dr x makes an adapter to keep the dbw.

www dot torquerush dot com. the adapter is probably the most expensive part of the swap. it is pretty easy. if you go for it be sure to use the car style throttle body.

hirdlej 10-18-2008 10:17 AM

By the time you convert to the TBSS intake my god you have damn near $800 in everything. You could damn neat put a FAST 90 setup on it

D_reks{5.3} 10-18-2008 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by hirdlej (Post 4026991)
By the time you convert to the TBSS intake my god you have damn near $800 in everything. You could damn neat put a FAST 90 setup on it

:stupid: thats what i was thinking. If you are gonna go through all the trouble to switch it out might as well just spend a little more cash and get something that you know is going to perform better. Unless of course you dont have the extra cash then you can only do what you can do. just my .02.

sickREDsierra 10-18-2008 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by hirdlej (Post 4026991)

i tend to agree. i wasnt aware it wasnt a plug and play app... havent researched it as thorough as i should have yet, just brainstorming on it...

it seems that adapter was over $200, and the $150-200 for the intake/TB....

damnit, i hate that lsx parts are so freekin expensive. my old SB 350 days make me really feel like companies are ripping us.. parts were soooo much cheaper!

looks like i may not go this route.

HotRodV6 10-18-2008 10:51 AM

you can get the TBSS intake from gmpartsdirect for around 150 shipped and around 165 shipped for the TBSS 90mm DBW TB, and then the dr x adaptor for around 200. I have a TBSS intake already and need to get the TB and adaptor to swap onto my 2003 5.3.

You will see some gains, but may be better off with something like the new weiand composite intake and 90MM TB, you will still need the adaptor, but that intake i think will give you more power and tq for the money spent versus the TBSS intake, unless you want to keep it stock looking. Could also send the TBSS intake and TB to ls2portworks.com and have them ported for even more gains across the board, i plan to do this for mine.

sickREDsierra 10-18-2008 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by HotRodV6 (Post 4027011)
you can get the TBSS intake from gmpartsdirect for around 150 shipped and around 165 shipped for the TBSS 90mm DBW TB, and then the dr x adaptor for around 200. I have a TBSS intake already and need to get the TB and adaptor to swap onto my 2003 5.3.

You will see some gains, but may be better off with something like the new weiand composite intake and 90MM TB, you will still need the adaptor, but that intake i think will give you more power and tq for the money spent versus the TBSS intake, unless you want to keep it stock looking. Could also send the TBSS intake and TB to ls2portworks.com and have them ported for even more gains across the board, i plan to do this for mine.

i was just looking at a TBSS manifold/tb/fuel rail setup for $150 shipped... seemed like a pretty good deal, but would still need the adapter.

if i did it, i would probably port it myself and sand/paint the mani also.. being my engine covers probably wouldnt fit it.