INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

sugar in gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sugar in gas tank

There is a 2005 6.0 that i can get for a decent price, someone put sugar in the gas tank. what will the sugar really mess up inside the motor??
Old 04-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

mythbusters did it... it doesnt hurt a thing... I'd replace the tank and change the filter and run some fuel system cleaner through it, and never think twice about it.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe i missed part of the show but didn't the sugar just sit at the bottom of the tank?
I mean it seems that if some did get sucked up into the pump it would cause problems....plus if it did in fact just stay at the bottom for em then who knows?
Or did they do like they always do and go overboard and just put sugar right into the motor at one point lol?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the motor will be fine for your swap. i would run your fuel rails but nothing of the sort would hurt the motor
Old 04-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I would think the sugar would disolve into the gas, just like it does with water... Then that gas would not have the same octane rating as pure gas would. Then when it gets in to the combustion chamber it would more than likely ping. Worst case the pinging could ruin a piston or rings... Just my thought...
Old 04-30-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

On Old Carburated motors it would crystallize

also it will not dissolve in the gasoline without the presence of water, a little sugar water and you have candy coated pistons

i have a BB sitting in my shed that has candy coated pistons, i pulled the heads off and it looked like taffy mixed with caramel and rock candy and tore the crap outta the wallls
Old 04-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZebes
On Old Carburated motors it would crystallize

also it will not dissolve in the gasoline without the presence of water, a little sugar water and you have candy coated pistons

i have a BB sitting in my shed that has candy coated pistons, i pulled the heads off and it looked like taffy mixed with caramel and rock candy and tore the crap outta the wallls
Ahhh, I was not aware that sugar would not disolve in gasoline, so as long as it did not get past any of the screens/filters the motor should be OK.... All the fueling componets (injectors, pump, ect) are trash, correct?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Ahhh, I was not aware that sugar would not disolve in gasoline, so as long as it did not get past any of the screens/filters the motor should be OK.... All the fueling componets (injectors, pump, ect) are trash, correct?
Again, if there was no water put in the tank, everything should be fine. Sugar doesn't dissolve in water so the sugar in theory should never have left the gas tank.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Registered abuser

Originally Posted by ZZebes
i have a BB sitting in my shed that has candy coated pistons, i pulled the heads off and it looked like taffy mixed with caramel and rock candy
mmmmm sounds tasty. throw some bean-oil sauce on top and it would be scrumptious.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

AHH with those thick *** netted GM filter socks i don't think you have to worry about a granule of sugar getting through! LOL!

Quick Reply: sugar in gas tank