INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Starting build, any help appreciated. 6.0 Lq4

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting build, any help appreciated. 6.0 Lq4

Ok, so I have my '01 2500hd, and it's time for me to start building it up. My intentions are to make a plan to build up the engine currently in my truck. I plan on eventually supercharging it with an Eaton 1900 from a cts-v. However it's a long road to that point. When I s/c the existing engine, I'm going to purpose build a second one, put the biggest Eaton they make on it and go for broke.

I'm getting ahead of myself. I must walk before I can run.

My plan is to start off with headers and a HP tuner. I plan on doing an EGR delete at this time. I know it won't help power or even improve milage, but it's fugly, and it's making my intake dirty as ****. I will work up a tune until I'm happy, then move on. I don't know if anyone makes headers that are bolt on for my truck, suggestions would be awesome.

Next would be a air box. I hate my current one with the giant tumor that GM put on it. I don't think it'll give me much in the way of performance, but it may improve sound, and any fun vehicle to drive makes fun noises.

After this I will look at heads, injectors and the like to finish engine prep for the s/c. I'll swap my trans for a beefier one, and go from there.

Questions from me: is this a good plan? I know turbos can make more power, but honestly they seem like an expensive pain in the dick.

Do y'all think I'll see gains throughout this process? Or will it be mediocrity until I super it?

Any suggestions for a plug and play header? I want long tubes, 1 3/4 would make me happy for now.

What questions should I be asking?

I will be pulling with this truck, but I don't think I am hurting it for that purpose... am I?
Old 05-26-2017, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

They may sell a Airaid intake tube for those trucks, those are very nice compared to the stock intake tubes.

Lots of places make headers, Kooks, ARH, Speed Engineering. Contact any one of them to see what they have.

Why would you need a stronger transmission? The 4L80e is about as strong as they come from the factory, people swap those in with nothing done to them and make 800hp on turbo setups and they don't break. Just slap a HD2 kit in there and tune it.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't looked at Air raid, I'll take a look see. I'm still researching quite a bit right now.

On the tranny, I know I'm going to be putting it into a very brutal environment, and I don't want a trans to go out on me again. It's not unheard of for me to latch this truck to the bulldozer at work. Not common, but not unheard of. To begin with, it would be unnessisary, but by the time I reach my built engine, I sincerely hope it is necessary. Not that I want to blow a trans, but rather that I'm making enough power.