INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Stage one of falling off the wagon

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage one of falling off the wagon

After having the Radix and swaping it out for a couple of different turbo setups then going back to N/A and slow as hell I couldnt take it anymore, not to mention I dont really think there is a therapy group for power adicts.

I started stage one of my project today. Me and my son and a buddy of mine got busy tearing her down this afternoon. Pulled the heads and cam out and in the morning I will get everything ready for their replacements.

Only hicup was cutting the **** out of my finger ( probably could have used a stich or two, but that is what that glue crap is for ) and one of the rocker bolts was on so tight I broke six sockets before making a run to sears to get them replaced and buy an impact socket in the right size to get it off without breaking another one.

Here are some pics. Stage two of the build to follow when I get a few more parts together, and get some stuff back from Rick and the coaters.
Attached Thumbnails Stage one of falling off the wagon-2007_1021stuff0001.jpg   Stage one of falling off the wagon-2007_1021stuff0002.jpg   Stage one of falling off the wagon-2007_1021stuff0006.jpg   Stage one of falling off the wagon-2007_1021stuff0009.jpg  

Last edited by thunderwagen; 04-26-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Teching In

If my wife gives me a son I hope he is into helping me out with my projects like that. Looks like a good setup so far. Cant go wrong with AFR's.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:47 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

so what's the dill pickle?

I didn't even know you got rid of the turbo! whats next?
Old 04-26-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had some issues with the tune and an oil leak at the drain that I could not get rid of. Turned out oil was seeping through the weld on the bung I had welded to the oil pan. I got annoyed and once I started to get things together for the swap on my 90 model I pulled the turbo and was planning on throwing it on there. I put the long tubes and true dual three inch back on with a cold air intake. That lasted all of two to three months before I was jonesing for power.

So I decided to put the turbo back on, with some changes to the oil feed and drain. I am also getting a 3.5 inch down pipe with built in cutout from Trick, 4" exhaust, the set of 225cc AFR's from above, a LPE GT2-3 cam for now (close specs to LS6 cam and it has been sitting in my closet for a couple of years now ), and I am getting it tuned locally.

Should be lots of fun, and I cant wait to feel some power again. With a stock long block and 11#'s on a way too rich tune ( 10:1 at full boost ) I was running 12.67 @107 with 2.0 60' times. I want to try to get her into the 11's cause I cant have those boys from Arizona showing me up too bad when they come down here in December!

More to come when I get back at it in the morning.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cams
If my wife gives me a son I hope he is into helping me out with my projects like that. Looks like a good setup so far. Cant go wrong with AFR's.
Yeah he just turned 12 in February and is starting to get into cars and more importantly Trucks! Its funny to hear him talk trash to my buddies about how slow their trucks are compared to mine! He had fun helping me tear her down today. We are kicking around plans on what we are going to build him for his first vehicle. Right now it is between the VW i drove in high school, or we are going to get a square body chevy and do an LS swap on it. He keeps going back and forth on wether he wants to bag them or do a static drop and go for more of a performance oriented vehicle. We have a few years to get it figured out and built.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Grippy what did you use to clean your pistons up after you pulled your heads. I know its in your thread, but with 200 + pages and me needing to get some work done tomorrow I dont really want to go through the whole thing again.