INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Small Block 350 power combo HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Block 350 power combo HELP

I hate to bore you all to death with another small block post, but any input would be greatly appreciated. I've got a c-10 with a 350 in it that I've been meaning to hot rod for some time now, but I just can't commit to anything because I'm scared of compatibility issues and what not. I think I'm shooting for around 400hp.

I'm going to start with a nice set of heads. I was leaning towards some Camel Humps, but I keep hearing that the only reason to get those is for a numbers matching car or if a track only allows stock heads. Every one keeps saying Vortec heads all the way so I found these:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

They've also got re manufactured camel humps if thats the way to go....
Then I want to get a new cam to go with it, but I'm really quite lost when it comes to this. I want it to be a little more aggressive but I have to drive this thing every day. I'm thinking about a comp cams kit with a cam, springs, tappets and timing chain, but I have no idea what cam to get also I wonder what other parts must be replaced with a higher profile cam.

My question are then:
1. Are those vortec heads the way to go? You know some better ones?
2.If I get some vortecs what cam should I get?
3. what other parts will i need to replace if i get new cam and heads? Rockers, rods, lifters, gaskets?
4. Should I stick with the 650cfm carb?
5.What is a power combo you think would work good (heads, cam .etc) for around 1000 bucks?
6. Also I thought I would ask do any of you know how to find the casting number on the block while the engine is in (in a c-10 to be exact)?

Last edited by madscrillz; 02-13-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Camel Hump heads have a 2.02/1.6 intake and exhaust and Vortecs only have 1.94/1.50. Are the Vortecs still better?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

if you get the vortecs stay with the 1.94 valve and do not put 2.02's in..if your going to buy a set of heads why dont you get some good aftermarket heads..either some dart 49cc heads or proline 50cc heads with flat top pistons would give a good compression ration..find a good cam..i have a practically new edelbrock performer rpm intake id sell ya..
Old 02-13-2008, 08:52 PM

is it the lower the cc the better because stock is like 74cc?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

yes 74cc with a flat top would lower compression than 50cc head with a flat top..higher compression yields more horsepower
Old 02-14-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by madscrillz
I hate to bore you all to death with another small block post, but any input would be greatly appreciated. I've got a c-10 with a 350 in it that I've been meaning to hot rod for some time now, but I just can't commit to anything because I'm scared of compatibility issues and what not. I think I'm shooting for around 400hp.

I'm going to start with a nice set of heads. I was leaning towards some Camel Humps, but I keep hearing that the only reason to get those is for a numbers matching car or if a track only allows stock heads. Every one keeps saying Vortec heads all the way so I found these:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

They've also got re manufactured camel humps if thats the way to go....
Then I want to get a new cam to go with it, but I'm really quite lost when it comes to this. I want it to be a little more aggressive but I have to drive this thing every day. I'm thinking about a comp cams kit with a cam, springs, tappets and timing chain, but I have no idea what cam to get also I wonder what other parts must be replaced with a higher profile cam.

My question are then:
1. Are those vortec heads the way to go? You know some better ones?
2.If I get some vortecs what cam should I get?
3. what other parts will i need to replace if i get new cam and heads? Rockers, rods, lifters, gaskets?
4. Should I stick with the 650cfm carb?
5.What is a power combo you think would work good (heads, cam .etc) for around 1000 bucks?
6. Also I thought I would ask do any of you know how to find the casting number on the block while the engine is in (in a c-10 to be exact)?
Vortecs beat double humps in flow and horsepower (combustion design) proven many times.
Probably most bang for the buck.
They are max .470 lift with stock springs. Need behive springs to prevent bind with higher lift (I seem to recall).
Comp XE 274 might be a good choice...check with tech assistance.
650cfm or a 750 vac sec
chevyhiperformance.com, go to tech articles and find several good sbc head articles. They used to have the largest head data base that I know of.
Rpm manifold is a good one.