INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Resonator recommendation after cats removed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Split that 3.5 with a flowmaster merge pipe at 3.5 in and duel 2.75 or 2.5 out into duel oval single chamber mooflers( turn them on 90, so they use less space) piped over axle, prefered would be single chamber with a baffle pack in each. No shitmasters!

No drone, nasty as it gets under wot, and quiet while cruise.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 403 Likes on 318 Posts

Can you post a sound clip?
Old 07-30-2017, 12:49 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmmmmmm. Yeah i am lazy. Sorry my wife and kiddo just got home from being gone for 3 weeks.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:01 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nwfjarhead
What are the specs on your truck? Mods and power adders?
Go fast mods are eforce @7.5psi, AFE Momentum sealed intake w/ dry filter intake fabed up to the blower, Alky control 100% single nozzle meth injection, Catless y pipe going to a borla s type catback.

Maybe it's snobery, but up here in the northeast I've seen way to many aftermarket exhaust rot real quick, even 409ss. Because of that I only use 304ss parts. Between that and needing 3.5", I've made it much harder on myself to find a solution lol.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:54 AM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

This weekend I installed a vibrant ultra quiet resonator right after the Y and then a 5x8x14" magnaflow race muffler between that and the borla catback. The sound is now nice and deep without any rasp and the volume is just where I want it. In a perfect world though there are two things I'd still like to change.

1. One is there is a lot of clicking/ticking coming from the rear of the engine bay/under the cab. Would this be the nature of the beast when you remove the cats, or should I check for leaks at the manifold flange or flex pipes I had put in?

2. The other thing is there is a bit of boomy resonance on acceleration that may get to me over time. I don't really have any more room under the truck to add another muffler/resonator, but I was thinking of swapping out the 5x8x14 magnaflow race muffler with a 6.25" round x 16 Borla XR-1, any thoughts/opinions/advice on that?
Old 08-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Curious, why didn't you just re-install cats if you regretted taking them off?

I cut a 2.5" cat into a 3", so, you could cut a 3" into a 3.5". I'm a Magnaflow fan and know they last up the NE weather.
Just a thought
Old 08-10-2017, 08:47 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tig
Curious, why didn't you just re-install cats if you regretted taking them off?
Originally Posted by Tig
I cut a 2.5" cat into a 3", so, you could cut a 3" into a 3.5". I'm a Magnaflow fan and know they last up the NE weather.
Just a thought
I thought about that but I was advised they would really choke down the motor at the power I'm making. I was also told they could clog easier.

Also my exhaust now doesn't terminate in a normal spot and people that can weld stainless exhaust are almost impossible for me to find.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:22 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PSM
[center]

I thought about that but I was advised they would really choke down the motor at the power I'm making. I was also told they could clog easier.

Also my exhaust now doesn't terminate in a normal spot and people that can weld stainless exhaust are almost impossible for me to find.
I've heard that to.
What kind of power are you making?

A good tig weldor is hard to find these days. Someone willing to climb around under a car haha.

Where about in NH do you live?
Old 08-10-2017, 09:35 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tig
I've heard that to.
What kind of power are you making?

A good tig weldor is hard to find these days. Someone willing to climb around under a car haha.

Where about in NH do you live?

Last dyno I had was 450rwhp and 500rwtq. Since then I've added about 2psi boost, opened up the intake/exhaust and added 100% meth injection so I've probably added a good bit of power.

I live in on what little coast NH has, are you in these parts?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PSM
This weekend I installed a vibrant ultra quiet resonator right after the Y and then a 5x8x14" magnaflow race muffler between that and the borla catback. The sound is now nice and deep without any rasp and the volume is just where I want it. In a perfect world though there are two things I'd still like to change.

1. One is there is a lot of clicking/ticking coming from the rear of the engine bay/under the cab. Would this be the nature of the beast when you remove the cats, or should I check for leaks at the manifold flange or flex pipes I had put in?

2. The other thing is there is a bit of boomy resonance on acceleration that may get to me over time. I don't really have any more room under the truck to add another muffler/resonator, but I was thinking of swapping out the 5x8x14 magnaflow race muffler with a 6.25" round x 16 Borla XR-1, any thoughts/opinions/advice on that?
Where does the exhaust exit..? If it dumps near the axle that could be your problem.