INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

please help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default please help!!!!!

this is getting old!!!!

i've had a ticking noise in my tahoe for awhile. i can't seem to figure out what it is. so far i have swapped lifters and heads (did the heads just to lower compression) swapped all the push rods from one side of the motor to the other along with the rockers. that didn't help. the tick is always on the same side. it gets louder with a load on the motor. knowing this i pulled the coil pack wires one at a time to see if the noise would go away, and it didn't. also heads have new springs and seals. could this be the oil pump making noise? sometime it seems like its at the front of the motor but its hard to tell. after you listen for so long it all blends together lol. but you can definitely tell its not on the driver side. but the alternator is kinda in the way of sound when you move to the driver side, if it were in the front.

hard to explain. i jope some of this makes since.

here is a vid from the beginning before i swapped lifters.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/t...tap_636916.htm
Old 03-18-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be an exhaust leak, or loose converter bolts. did you check all the rocker arms good when you had it apart?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

yeah, loose converter bolts or cracked flywheel maybe. Take the starter out and inspect that area.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

This might sound really crazy but it sounds just like my 2000 4.8 did when the power steering pump went bad. Might try taking the belt off and start motor to see if noise goes away. With the belt off I could pull in and out on the pully and it would make the clunking noise.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:34 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Sounds almost like a piston rocking in one of the cylinders to me...
Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lukesdad04
This might sound really crazy but it sounds just like my 2000 4.8 did when the power steering pump went bad. Might try taking the belt off and start motor to see if noise goes away. With the belt off I could pull in and out on the pully and it would make the clunking noise.
good info right there, forgot all about taking the belt off to rule out all the drive system parts.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:13 AM
12 Second Truck Club

i replaced the torque converter while the truck was down. and i swapped rockers from bank to bank. sound still on same side. i'll take the belt off this after noon and see what happens. while your B/S the power steering always has had a whine to it. it would increase and decrease with rpm. ever since i bought the thing.

i thought about the piston rocking too. what would make it suddenly decide to do it though? its never made the noise before then one day it just starts? although it did start after a hour drive that was like the most ruthless ride my trucks ever had. i don't think i will ever follow anybody that thinks they are in nascar again. would a compression check show this?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:18 AM
Staging Lane

Does your truck`still have the stock catalytic converters on it? Mine just went bad and made a god awful noise like that. Cut'em out and put in some straight pipe, no more noise.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:42 AM
Launching!

Based on fast speed of the noise I would think its a piston. Usually killing the cylinder should make a difference in the noise on the effected cylinder. The problem is the only way to really check this is to pull the motor down and inspect pistons, wrist pins, and bore. IMO valve train noise would be half as fast.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:18 AM
12 Second Truck Club

no cats, see: trickperformance turbo. lol but i have removed a few in the past couple months that made some horrible noise. one on a xterra and the other on a silverado 4.3l.

would the piston show on a compression check? if so would it show better when cold or hot?