INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

NEED ADVICE 5.3 engine project

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED ADVICE 5.3 engine project

I'm currently rebuilding a 5.3 motor for my 08 Silverado . My eye has been watching the 232/234 .600"/.600" lift cam from texas speed performance for the past weeks, what would I need to fit that cam in my engine ? Do I need to change the heads ? Pistons?engine rods ? Ect. I've looked everywhere but can't seem to find my answeres. thanks in advance and any tips or advice is welcomed!
Old 06-08-2017, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

I'd read your other thread again, a few suggestions on cam size.

If you truely want to run a cam that big you better be buying a large stall converter for the transmission. Otherwise that huge cam is going to suck to drive around with everyday. Do not just pick a cam based on size or how you want it to idle. Pick the cam around the setup you wish to run.

If you do not want a stall converter and want to drive this thing everyday and behave good without stalling alot and not be a complete dog down low you do not want a cam that large. As said before, something in the 212/218 or similar with a LSA around 112-114 will perform great in a truck without a stall.

Pistons and rods will handle 800hp, you will never reach that without a turbo/blower. Cylinder heads are the best around and flow stupid good, no sense in even touching them.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

i swear by a 3000 stall for daily driven trucks that are still used as trucks. My advice is to research the cam to see where its power curve is and make sure its where you want it.

Id say your heads are fine, Springs are cheap so an upgrade would be a no brainer.