INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

LSNext Blocks have arrived @ SDPC!!!

Old 08-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Trucks Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LSNext Blocks have arrived @ SDPC!!!

We have received a large shipment of the newest LS block available. This is the Dart Machinery LSNext block. We have not yet started a build with one of these, but we are excited to get to work on one soon.

Here are some pictures of one that's in stock here, as well as some highlights from Dart. At the bottom you'll find part numbers and pricing. We don't yet have more oil pan spacers or block completion kits in stock for pictures, as we have shipped what we received to customers already. I will come back and update with those as soon as we get the next shipment.

Dart’s LS Next block is the first significant change in the architecture of the LS engine platform. By eliminating the “Y-block” design and utilizing conventional style main caps and oil pans, Dart has addressed the problems resulting from the LS engine’s separated crankcase bays. Windage is greatly reduced, resulting in increased power along with a much stronger main web area.

Features:

Dart’s LS Next block is cast in the USA with premium cast iron alloy

Conventional style 4-bolt steel main caps with 7/16” bolts are used

Full main webbing for maximum bottom end strength

Cylinder barrels are extended by .375” at the bottom, providing greater piston support for all combinations

9.240” deck height, with options of 9.450" are available which allows for a possible effective barrel length of 9.825” deck block

Extra thick Siamese cylinder bores allow for large displacement capacity, and a max bore size of at least 4.200”

A 5/8” thick full deck design with a 9.240” deck height

Six head bolts per cylinder provide secure clamping for power adder applications

Head bolts are upgraded to 7/16” for increased strength

Blind head bolt holes don’t go through into the water jacket

Provision for oil restrictors in the lifter valley • Revised low restriction priority main oiling system

Pro-Stock / Pro-Mod big block style stepped main oil galley

An external oil filter must be used with stock or aftermarket oil pumps

Dual starter mounts

The water jacket on the #1 cylinder has been expanded for additional cooling capacity

LSX style lifter bosses and dog bone provision are provided

You'll notice some "odd" differences from what you're used to. Older SBC guys won't find most of this odd and will recognize some things. You might also have some questions, which are quite welcome.

You'll notice the different cam retainer plate

Water jackets are revised.

You aren't running stock lifter guides in this block. LSX guides or tire bars.

These have press in freeze plugs.

The barbell hole is plugged.

This will use stock front and rear covers.

We know how the stock block and parts handled all of the passages under the covers. We will have to get the completion kit in here to see what Dart does in those areas. Especially with the deletion of the stock cam retainer that connected the two front oil passages.

There is no provision for a Gen 3 cam sensor. You will have to run the Gen IV front cover and sensor.

There is no passage that supplies oil to the stock location in the valley cover for the oil pressure sensor. There might be a passage you could drill into, we are not certain at this time. You may have to run the sensor in an alternate location.

Note the pads for a starter on either side of the block.

Block with 4.100 bore = Dart 31837111 $2469.95 with free shipping
Block with 4.125 bore = Dart 31837211 $2469.95 with free shipping
Block completion kit = Dart 32000016 $129.95
Oil pan rail adapters = Dart 62230001 $329.95
Moroso LSNext oil pan = 20144 $534.99
Required pickup tube for that pan = 24144 $129.95
Old 08-30-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The splayed mains are cool as hell. There is a company here in town that just started a maggie build with one of these blocks. I'm looking forward to see what you guys do with it
Old 08-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

I was always under the impression that the LS blocks were so strong because of the 6 bolt mains? Seems like a step in the wrong direction.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Trucks Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I was always under the impression that the LS blocks were so strong because of the 6 bolt mains? Seems like a step in the wrong direction.

You are correct it is a good benefit to the LS blocks but having a splayed cap block is also a super strong setup. Its not like a standard 4 bolt main sbc block. The splayed caps allow for a lot more material between the bolt holes. Plus pulling the mains out of the block eliminates the problem of windage and bay to bay breathing problems...
Old 08-30-2013, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also the LS block has "windows" in the mains above the side bolts which cause block flex. This splayed design eliminates that and makes for a stronger overall block design
Old 08-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am sure these are nice as hell but I don't see any use for them. Guys are making stupid power with stock blocks and I don't think I have ever seen one fail. I am sure some have but few and far between from what I have seen.

Maybe I am missing something but looks like about 3500 for a block that is ready for a rotating assembly?

Sorry to be negative but I don't see any problems being solved with this "next" generation.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by custm2500
I am sure these are nice as hell but I don't see any use for them. Guys are making stupid power with stock blocks and I don't think I have ever seen one fail. I am sure some have but few and far between from what I have seen.

Maybe I am missing something but looks like about 3500 for a block that is ready for a rotating assembly?

Sorry to be negative but I don't see any problems being solved with this "next" generation.
Do you see any reason for GM to make the LSX block?
Old 08-30-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im sort of confused as to how you could run the stock front and rear cover. What oil pan does this take? If it takes a stock oil pan there must be some sort of oil pan rail extension that goes on these.

I went up and looked. I didnt see the moroso oil pan before, and there are rail extenders. Well that answers that.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the picture with the valley plate, it looks like there is no way for an oil pressure sensor to get a reading. Is this true or am I missing something?

Also, getting to the lifters without pulling the heads! Awesome!
Old 08-31-2013, 04:17 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Wow, that thing looks beefie!!! Interested to see how the other parts tie it together.

Do they require special head gaskets or can you use any LS type head gaskets???

I see they didn't drill the block for a top oil sensor. Does it use an alternate location???

Does it have a place to mount the crank sensor and knock sensors???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LSNext Blocks have arrived @ SDPC!!!