INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

L92 Heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L92 Heads

Could someone tell me what engine has the L92 heads on it from the factory. Am looking for a set from the wrecking yard, if that is possible. Going to change valves and put my springs on and use them that way till I can afford to have them ported.
Also am going to put a full spool in this winter, skinnies and QA1's up front. Battery is going to the back and a 5 gal. fuel cell in the bed.
Was going to cut out the core support and replace it with something lighter, but found out it is already alum. So will leave it.
Going to change my shift rpm from 6500 to 6150, since I haven't had it on a dyno yet,I'm not sure where my engine peaks out. So will take some advice from Pittman.If mine is close to his I should shave about 3 to 4 tenths off. I'm really looking forward to next spring.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Easiest and cheapest probably is the LY6 or L96 6 liter's. They are under the hood of every GMT900 gas pig 2500 and 3500 pickup. Should be lots of those to choose from. Otherwise the GMT900 L76 6 liter from the Vortec Max trucks or G8 GT's, the L92 and L9H 6.2's from GMT900 Escalades, Denali`s and 09 up half tons. Then your LS3 Vette, Camaro, G8 engine or L99 Camaro engines.

The iron block 6 liters are super easy to find, they come in all kinds of vans and trucks.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
Easiest and cheapest probably is the LY6 or L96 6 liter's. They are under the hood of every GMT900 gas pig 2500 and 3500 pickup. Should be lots of those to choose from. Otherwise the GMT900 L76 6 liter from the Vortec Max trucks or G8 GT's, the L92 and L9H 6.2's from GMT900 Escalades, Denali`s and 09 up half tons. Then your LS3 Vette, Camaro, G8 engine or L99 Camaro engines.

The iron block 6 liters are super easy to find, they come in all kinds of vans and trucks.
Well I feel dumb, I have no idea what a GMT900 is? The 6.0 I have, came out of a 3500 dually and it has an iron block and 317's. I am down in the 11.80's with those and a edelbrock performer intake and a 850 cfm pro systems carb. But figured the L92's and a victor jr. would help alot. Thanks for all the info.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Gmt900 ~ nnbs
Old 11-20-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Sr.
Well I feel dumb, I have no idea what a GMT900 is? The 6.0 I have, came out of a 3500 dually and it has an iron block and 317's. I am down in the 11.80's with those and a edelbrock performer intake and a 850 cfm pro systems carb. But figured the L92's and a victor jr. would help alot. Thanks for all the info.
I despise forum lingo and refuse to use it, so you never see me write nbs, nnbs, obs, etc in context. What are the 2013's going to be, nnnbs, lol. I know that's how it goes but if you sit back for a moment it's a ridiculous way to refer to anything.

Either way the GMT900 platform is the 2007 and newer bodystyle trucks. Your LQ4 came out of a GMT800 ( 1999-2007 classic). Just find the latest bodystyle 2500 or 3500 and you have what you are looking for.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 11-20-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Could someone tell me what engine has the L92 heads on it from the factory. Am looking for a set from the wrecking yard, if that is possible. Going to change valves and put my springs on and use them that way till I can afford to have them ported.
Also am going to put a full spool in this winter, skinnies and QA1's up front. Battery is going to the back and a 5 gal. fuel cell in the bed.
Was going to cut out the core support and replace it with something lighter, but found out it is already alum. So will leave it.
Going to change my shift rpm from 6500 to 6150, since I haven't had it on a dyno yet,I'm not sure where my engine peaks out. So will take some advice from Pittman.If mine is close to his I should shave about 3 to 4 tenths off. I'm really looking forward to next spring.

The LY6 is probably the most plentiful; you'd be looking for 6.0L motors out of 2500 series Silverado, Sierra, Yukon, Suburbans from 2007-up. The 6.2L engines were scarcer and used in premium trucks like Escalades, or the Camaro/Corvette so may cost more in salvage. As you have trucks coming off warranty now, you may find that the engines are in higher demand for motor replacements so it might be tougher to find complete heads.

Another thought is that the LS3 versions (with 68cc combustion chambers) are readily available from GM Parts suppliers (Like SDPC... no affiliation, but they are a sponsor) for a great price. The last time I bought a set they were well under $400 a side. Considerably under if I recall correctly. Those will also be populated with Corvette valves and springs, ready to install rockers and bolt on.

The Corvette heads also have the slightly smaller combustion chamber, so you'll pick up a little torque from the compression bump. Should still be fine on regular gas, with stock knock sensors, but they ought to make more power everywhere. I like this combination... you should get a nice power increase over the 317 heads.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys, I'm old and just getting back into all this and don't know any of this lingo. So I appreciate your help.
I already have 11 to 1 Diamond pistons but with the 317 its around 10.5. And I use 110 at the track. It really is fun blowing the doors off some of these mustangs and lightnings with this heavy old pickup. (and a fat old guy driving) LOL. I guess thats laughing out loud, at first I thought it was lots of love.
Can't wait to get it hooking up and a 250 shot sending me to 10.0's.
Thanks again for your ideas
I have a friend with a 65 mustang big block ford with dual quads and 400 ? shot doing 8.80's @ 165mph. Thats one mustang I don't fool with.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Teching In

>>It really is fun blowing the doors off some of these mustangs and lightnings with this heavy old pickup. (and a fat old guy driving) LOL. I guess thats laughing out loud, at first I thought it was lots of love.
Can't wait to get it hooking up and a 250 shot sending me to 10.0's.<<

Hmm, sounds hardcore.... if you're really putting it on the bottle, especially a 250 shot-bottle, I'd highly recommend the ARP head studs when you do this. And, going to the MLS gaskets. The stock bottom end will take a lot of abuse, but that kind of power-adder the 'insurance' of the ARP studs is well worth the time and expense. FWIW.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Launching!

I've already got the good reuseable head bolts but had planned on getting the studs. Also my bottom end is a callies stroker crank, rods and diamond 040 pistons. All forged. Also have a edelbrock pergressive controller to control amount of nos. There will never be a complete 250 shot off the line. Thanks for the heads up. Really appreciate it.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Teching In

I've already got the good reuseable head bolts but had planned on getting the studs. Also my bottom end is a callies stroker crank, rods and diamond 040 pistons. All forged. Also have a edelbrock pergressive controller to control amount of nos. There will never be a complete 250 shot off the line. Thanks for the heads up. Really appreciate it.

Wow. Nice hardware. That being the case, then you've hit the other "weak link" in the LS/LQ stock motors-- the rod bolts. With what you have in crank and pistons, then the LS3 heads from GMPP would be a natural. They'll flow 50% more than the 317s, even as-cast. Please keep us posted.

Quick Reply: L92 Heads