INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

L33 mild build

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah i have been reading about the clevites and king bearings. Either way i wont order until the machine shop measures the crank and see's what kind of clearences i have. I was reading about some people recommended one thpe of clevites for the stock crank and a different thpe for forged cranks. Any info on this?
Old 11-09-2013, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01silvy
Yeah i have been reading about the clevites and king bearings. Either way i wont order until the machine shop measures the crank and see's what kind of clearences i have. I was reading about some people recommended one thpe of clevites for the stock crank and a different thpe for forged cranks. Any info on this?
Clevite P bearings are suitable for OEM cranks. Clevite H bearings are a little narrower to account for the larger fillets on aftermarket crankshafts.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so the "p" version is what im looking for. Does anybody else recommend anything else other than the clevites?
Old 11-23-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If yer gonna do anything with the heads, go with AFR Mongoose heads........
Old 11-24-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I already have my heads. I will be using 241 heads and getting alittle work dont to them. I am shooting for a 10.2:1-10.5:1 CR. i will be using the 212/218 low loft cam i. This engine too
Old 07-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates? How does the cam feel?
Old 09-09-2014, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey guys, i have been gone for awhile and just got to where i could get ready to order parts next week and take the engine to RPM in garner, NC. I have a few concerns. I am buying the rods, pistons and cam bearings before i take it to the machine shop. He will be measuring clearences and ordering my main and rod bearings. He is charging me about $900 for all the machine work and to assemble the rotating assembly in the block(does this sound kinda high?) He will be boring it .01 over.

I am ordering the Wiseco 3.79" pistons that fit the .945" rods and has a +6cc dome. Will the scat I-beam 6.125" rods work with these pistons?

Also, my machine shop guy said he probably wasnt going to have to deck the top of the block and by the looks of it i dont think he will either. It looks pretty good and clean. What is the stock deck height of the L33 engine. i need this info for trying to figure up my compression ratio. My ultimate goal is 10.5:1 and i am using 241 heads that havent been touched so i know i will need to mill a little from them. AI is taking care of that part though. I disassembled my heads last night though and a valve is bent pretty bad. When i took the keepers out to remove the spring, i pulled the seal off and half of the guide came out with it so that valve has deff hit something hard. The guy i bought them from probably floated them. But anyway, i will be calling texas speed for parts today o get a rough estimate and see what he recommends. Thanks for all the help guys and i will be updating with pics as it goes along. The ultimate goal is to be installing the engine around next march.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better look at the compression height of the pistons and the wrist pin dia that piston accepts. Most 6.125" rods use the 927 pins. So a piston for the aftermarket rods will use a 927 pin and a shorter compression height to account for the longer rod.

Deck height for the 4.8/5.3 engines is like 9.240". Half the stroke is 1.81". Add that to stock rod 6.098" and you get 7.908". Subtract that from 9.240 to get piston CH. Stock piston compression height should be about 1.335" to get about zero deck with stock parts.

If the piston you've ordered uses a .945 pin and has a CH of 1.33X, it's for the stock 6.098" rod. The Wiesco Junkyard Dog pistons are for stock rods, most of their other pistons are for aftermarket rods.

I would use the stock type King bimetal silicon/aluminum bearings for a street motor.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info chiphead. I actually talked to a guy at Texas Speed this morning and we cleared up the issue on the pistons and rods. The Wiseco "junkyard dog" pistons are only made to accept the stock rods. So he found me a set of standard wiseco's that are .020" over stock and will work with the scat rods. They are also -2.2cc flat tops so i will need to get a thinner head gasket or just have more milled from the heads. Also this L33 is out of a 05' truck so its deff a gen 3 block. What kind of cam bearings are needed? Will ones from a 1st gen LS1 work? Texas Speed only offers Federal mogul and Durabond cam bearings... Any preferance?
Old 09-09-2014, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW im already looking at about $1,200-$1,400 worth of parts and over half of that is the pistons lol

Quick Reply: L33 mild build