INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Installing ARP rod bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 03:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Installing ARP rod bolts?

So I got them installed today and torqued down to 45 ft/lb. I did a little search on here and see people talking about loosening and tightening them for the proper stretch and also something about threaded sleeves. I didn't see anything on mine that looked like it was threaded. I also did the bolts one at a time just in case anybody throws that out there. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:15 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1_fastsilverado
So I got them installed today and torqued down to 45 ft/lb. I did a little search on here and see people talking about loosening and tightening them for the proper stretch and also something about threaded sleeves. I didn't see anything on mine that looked like it was threaded. I also did the bolts one at a time just in case anybody throws that out there. Thanks!
I believe that there are some sleeves in the rods that you must remove when installing the ARP's, but I'm not 100% sure. I've also read on Tech about the ARP's warping the rod cap, but that was a while ago, they may have changed the way they make the bolts as many have used them without problems. Personally, if I were to change my rod bolts I'd go with Katech as they are designed like the factory bolt, only stronger.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I checked out the Katech site, and that's exactly how the ARP's look..haha they must have changed them due to katech's bolts being better. I don't know about the sleeve thing yet, when I put the bolts in last night they slide through the cap not problem and then screw right into the rod, no binding at all. I guess all I'm going to try is the 3 rule for stretching and see what happens haha.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:04 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the threaded sleaves? I don't believe the were really warping the caps, there was a wives tale out there for a little while that if you changed to ARP rod bolts you had to resize your rods cause people thought that they would be out of round. I believe that it was people just trying to change them in the car, and pulling caps and not paying close attention to the bearing location/position on reinstallation. I went through and loosened and tightened to the spec on the ARP website I believe it was like 3-4 times of torqueing and loosening of each bolt before final torque was set. I did it that way with no problems.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

both sets of stock rods had sleeves that i put arp's in. the rods caps, have the sleeves in them you just have to tap them out and then the new bolts slide right in.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Restricted User

when i put my arp's in... when i removed the old bolts the sleeves came out with the bolts and werent able to be seperated from the stock bolts... or atleast very easily werent seperable