INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

how in the world do I change the valve springs...?

Old 08-04-2016, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how in the world do I change the valve springs...?

I took advantage of the Texas speed and performance sale and got myself a cam/springs combo for my 5.3. theyre the ls6 springs. after researching swapping them out, it looks like a huge hassle. from what i understand, its using a spring compressor while using a hollowed out spark plug or something hooked up to the spark lug hole and an air compressor, or you manually rotating the engine to top dead center. both of these are also using a valve spring compressor.

my question is, is there an easier way to do this...? the cam install looks tedious, but not hard apart from taking the radiator off. but the springs look very complicated. I dont have a spring compressor tool but i think i can get a hold of one.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrousaddict
I took advantage of the Texas speed and performance sale and got myself a cam/springs combo for my 5.3. theyre the ls6 springs. after researching swapping them out, it looks like a huge hassle. from what i understand, its using a spring compressor while using a hollowed out spark plug or something hooked up to the spark lug hole and an air compressor, or you manually rotating the engine to top dead center. both of these are also using a valve spring compressor.

my question is, is there an easier way to do this...? the cam install looks tedious, but not hard apart from taking the radiator off. but the springs look very complicated. I dont have a spring compressor tool but i think i can get a hold of one.
The easiest way is with an air compressor and fill the cylinder with air.

Now, what you need to watch out for is the lifters. You'll need two wooden dowel rods, 3/8 or 5/16 in diameter, can't remember, cut to 22in. Spin the cam a few times while it's in the block (after you've loosened the rocker arms and pulled the cam gear off) and insert those dowel rods in the holes (holes are at 10 and 2 position).

If I were you, watch a few YouTube videos. Watch some focusing on the spring replacement and some on the cam replacement. Don't watch videos of the entire process, you'll get overloaded with info. Everything else is not hard.

You'll need the following (tool wise):

1. Crank pulley puller
2. Dowel rods
3. Valve spring compressor
4. Air compressor
5. Air compressor fitting for spark plug hole.
6. Magnet for keepers
7. Valve stem seals

Of course you'll need gaskets, crank bolt, etc.

Last edited by madmann26; 08-05-2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by madmann26
The easiest way is with an air compressor and fill the cylinder with air.

Now, what you need to watch out for is the lifters. You'll need two wooden dowel rods, 3/8 or 5/16 in diameter, can't remember, cut to 22in. Spin the cam a few times while it's in the block (after you've loosened the rocker arms and pulled the cam gear off) and insert those dowel rods in the holes (holes are at 10 and 2 position).

If I were you, watch a few YouTube videos. Watch some focusing on the spring replacement and some on the cam replacement. Don't watch videos of the entire process, you'll get overloaded with info. Everything else is not hard.

You'll need the following (tool wise):

1. Crank pulley puller
2. Dowel rods
3. Valve spring compressor
4. Air compressor
5. Air compressor fitting for spark plug hole.

Of course you'll need gaskets, crank bolt, etc.
can you make a fitting for the spark plug hole? will i need new gaskets? it has 60k miles, i dont know wether its a mileage based thing or an age thing. a new crank bolt? cant i just use the stock one?
Old 08-04-2016, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nitrousaddict
can you make a fitting for the spark plug hole? will i need new gaskets? it has 60k miles, i dont know wether its a mileage based thing or an age thing. a new crank bolt? cant i just use the stock one?

It's possible to reuse the gaskets but advisable to replace them. Last thing you want is to have a leak.

Yes, you need a new crank bolt. It stretches when it's torqued down and is not a reusable item.

They're like $6 on Amazon for an oem bolt.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by madmann26
It's possible to reuse the gaskets but advisable to replace them. Last thing you want is to have a leak.

Yes, you need a new crank bolt. It stretches when it's torqued down and is not a reusable item.

They're like $6 on Amazon for an oem bolt.
noted. and oh ok yeah thats fine. so is doing a cam and springs swap something thats achievable in a day or two? can i do the springs one day, drive it, and the cam the next or in a week? its my DD so i would prefer it not to be down for too long. im really clueless on most of this, i just know what i want and finally got it and dont know the first thing about putting it to use.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes you can do springs first then cam later. a few of the steps from the spring swap you will have to do over when doing the cam swap. --> remove valve covers, rocker arms, pushrods
Old 08-05-2016, 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
yes you can do springs first then cam later. a few of the steps from the spring swap you will have to do over when doing the cam swap. --> remove valve covers, rocker arms, pushrods
Exactly.

You'll need to do the springs first imo.

I updated the list above.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:55 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

These guys have all pointed you in the right direction, as stated you absolutely can do the springs one day and hold off and do the cam another to keep down time as little as possible. If you have never done it before just read up and take your time, its not hard but does take some time if you have never done it. Don't be afraid to do it yourself just don't rush.

The air compressor fitting you should be able to piece together at a local auto parts store or just buy a Compression tester and use the hose that comes with it. They are not expensive and it may come in handy some day.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

You can get the crank bolt from the dealer for just about the same price, AFAIK. List price is only $6. For example, Gmpartsdirect.com has them for $3, and their suggested retail($5.74 on this part) is usually what it costs at most dealers in my experience. Call your local dealer and ask. This is for pn 12557840. Same thing Brian sells at Brian Tooley Racing.

CHEVROLET PERFORMANCE CRANKSHAFT DAMPER BOLT FOR LS ENGINES 12557840

May want to look into his cam installation kits, also. The cheapest gasket kit comes with a new bolt free, it looks like.

CAMSHAFT INSTALLATION KIT
Old 08-05-2016, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
The air compressor fitting you should be able to piece together at a local auto parts store or just buy a Compression tester and use the hose that comes with it. They are not expensive and it may come in handy some day.
i smashed all the ceramic out of an old spark plug and ran a 1/4 npt tap into it and installed a air line fitting with a little jb weld. been using it for years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how in the world do I change the valve springs...?