INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

HELP WHAT DO I NEED FOR A CAM ON MY 5.3 silverado

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP WHAT DO I NEED FOR A CAM ON MY 5.3 silverado

Hey I have a 2008 Chevy silverado single cab 5.3 with long tube headers and the carven exhaust and I'm looking to get the 232/234 .600"/.600" camshaft . What exactly will I need in order to put the cam will I need to change anything else like the pistons or valves let me know this is my 1st project and I'm only 16.let me know what I need to buy for this cam to go in my truck !
Old 06-05-2017, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Being 16 doesn't excuse you from searching for answers, not being harsh as that is just the truth.

That cam is way to big to just slap in there. Unless you want to install a very large stall converter and upgrade your whole valvetrain for the lift on that cam, I suggest you do not run that cam.

A more daily driver friendly cam in something like a 212/218 range would suit a stock stall converter better.

Random parts list that you'll have to buy.

AFM/DoD delete kit, that includes new lifters, lifter guides, 4.8 valley cover, head gaskets, intake gaskets, new cam gear.

New valve springs
New pushrods that you have to measure for.

Custom tune.

Likely some other odds and ends for a cam swap and then pray that your weak 4L60e holds together for a while.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks man I'm just new to this to be honest I've tried searching this up also for weeks but just get confused I just decided to make an account on this page I've been on it for a while haha
Old 06-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Teching In

What camshaft would you recommend because I'm looking for one that's loud and choppy?
Old 06-06-2017, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Loud and choppy doesn't make the best cam for something that's gonna get driven a lot. A choppy idle means having a big stall, deep gears, no vacuum for brakes, drivability issues at low engine speeds, trust us. Something mild, with a hint of chop, that doesn't take a ton of supporting hardware would be better. A 212/218 on a 112 LSA would be a decent place to start.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Pollo
What camshaft would you recommend because I'm looking for one that's loud and choppy?
As stated from other members, buying a choppy cam to make your truck Sound nasty, will net you undesirable results. A cam shouldn't be purchased off "sound", it should be purchased off what suits your driving habits. Being as young as you are I'm sure your driving habits will be like when we were all your age.

If you are dead set on a lopey idle. Comp cams makes a line of cams ground just to be noisey. I personally and I'm sure others will back me up, but I advise not going this route, as those cams are only noise makers, and will only net you minimal results. You can get a better bang for your buck cam with less driveability issues and a better power band by contacting companies that make cams for small CI motors

Last edited by MrHorsepowerLSx; 06-08-2017 at 08:29 AM.