INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

which heads? L92s or stage 2 243s???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Max valve lift has very little to do with piston to valve clearance actually!
This is true, I forgot to say to keep his duration below 230-240s also.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
you could always just make a cookie cutter version of Skeet's motor. it's proven.
and what does skeet have done? i know he has stage 2 l92s, but did he have to flycut the pistons? do you know what cam he used?
Old 02-18-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

some of the posts
Looking forward to results of ur build. I know u got ur setup figured out already. But as tsp suggested. There cathedral ports heads would work excellent. I'm a trex man so I would take that over the ms line. But more than likely ur gonna have to cut in vr and check final ptv clearance before buy pushrods and button it down. Gonna have to actually verify how much the piston is out the bore TDC. To figure final scr and quench. I recommend the ls2 head gaskets . Not the stock lq4 or 9 gaskets
Old 02-18-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have some bare L92's for sale brand new never installed, would be perfect for port work, 500$ shipped to your door
Old 02-18-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I am leaning more and more toward the l92 heads. Check clearance and get them ported. Great flowing heads and big enough if you ever bore or stroke it you already have some heads. May have to get them reworked but you still have them. I just dont see the cathedral port heads coming close to the potential the L92 heads have. my .$02
Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dry_kill
and what does skeet have done? i know he has stage 2 l92s, but did he have to flycut the pistons? do you know what cam he used?
at the point when i ran a 11.39 ( 52* weather ) i didnt have nothing special, i gave you the info on the cam, as for nothing special i mean i only milled the heads .015, used a .040 gasket, this gave me a 11:1 cr, used 7.4 pushrods, 1.7 rockers ( stock ) nothing was done to the short block, NO fly cutting of pistons or anything, continue to pm me if you need more info, i dont mind sharing and i really dont mind someone trying to replicate my build !

Originally Posted by southern_chevy
I think I am leaning more and more toward the l92 heads. Check clearance and get them ported. Great flowing heads and big enough if you ever bore or stroke it you already have some heads. May have to get them reworked but you still have them. I just dont see the cathedral port heads coming close to the potential the L92 heads have. my .$02
very true, on the 4" bore you'll only be using a 1/3rd of the head ( in my own opinion) now that ive had them hand ported more and gained 37 more cfms on the exhaust side makes it even better for the nitrous fed 410, i will disagree with you on the 243s though, to an extent anyway, Jon ( dbrods & mini's ) made great power with 243 heads, my builder said he can make them make big power, it went as far as him wanting me to swap but i couldnt justify what i already have either way i think for dry_kill the potiental and if he stays dedicated to his build he'll have one hellva beast on his hands

all in all if the heads fall into the right porter you'll be surprised at the performance gains from either head !
Old 02-20-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

so skeet what size bore/CI you think one would need to take advantage of ported L92 heads? 370,402,408 Larger? kinda wondering what runner and valve size to ci is optimum
Old 02-20-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by southern_chevy
so skeet what size bore/CI you think one would need to take advantage of ported L92 heads? 370,402,408 Larger? kinda wondering what runner and valve size to ci is optimum
my honest opinion, though i made good use with the l92 heads on my 4" bore lq9 364 stock 6.0 i still wasnt getting the full affect of the heads, if i would have stayed with the orginal game plan and ran the stock shortblock with more nitrous it would have prevailed to be used ( heads ) to there full potiental, well almost. right now i have a 410 CI motor being built by rage, which is nitrous fed, which will hold plenty, this isnt gonna be your normal street friendly truck, yeah you can NOW concider it a race truck hahahaha, but still beable to drive around the block or so as for cubic inch i think these heads would luv a bigger CI motor above the 410 anyway, how big depends on how well the heads are worked. i run the standard valve size : 2.165"/1.59" Valves BUT with the hollow stem intake valves, i like rpms so its a must to keep the valvetrain as light as possible this motor is being built with the best parts available !
Old 02-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As time goes by I think Im becoming more and more of a fan of the L92 heads. Only problem with them is FAST doesnt make the lsxrt manifold in square port only cathedral at the moment. BUT a ported L92 truck intake was proven to flow damn good which should be plenty enough to get you into the 11s no problem. I bet you could have an 11.50 truck in good weather pretty easy.

If I were you my setup would be
LQ9
WCCH Stage II L92s
232/238 112 ordered from TSP
LS2 portworks ported L92 truck manifold
TSP 1 7/8 fbody headers
Dual 3" with an x pipe
3600 Circle D single disk or tripple if you got the cash
410s with trutrac
all the other usual boltons

That should get you to where you want very easily but more like mid 11s in good weather
Old 02-20-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
As time goes by I think Im becoming more and more of a fan of the L92 heads. Only problem with them is FAST doesnt make the lsxrt manifold in square port only cathedral at the moment. BUT a ported L92 truck intake was proven to flow damn good which should be plenty enough to get you into the 11s no problem. I bet you could have an 11.50 truck in good weather pretty easy.

If I were you my setup would be
LQ9
WCCH Stage II L92s
232/238 112 ordered from TSP
LS2 portworks ported L92 truck manifold
TSP 1 7/8 fbody headers
Dual 3" with an x pipe
3600 Circle D single disk or tripple if you got the cash
410s with trutrac
all the other usual boltons

That should get you to where you want very easily but more like mid 11s in good weather
i cant see a issue with dry_kill hitting 11s consistant, reguardless of weather, but in the same sense theres need for weight reduction in the upmost honest way, what i mean by this is changing leaf springs with a ladder bar setup, pulliing seats for a nice comfy race seat, you'll be surprised how much that **** weighs, this is basically how i got my pig down under 4k, 4016 with me in it, its been a costly move but its been well worth it, i really doubt we see a FAST LSXrt intake for the rectangular port heads, just for that simple reason the stock l92 truck intake is proven.

the list you posted would get him there, but to be all out would take more, gears, bigger stall, even with the truck intake being ported, if it can hold its torque around 3k-3500 then open it up on the top end would be WOW! then by all means that 3600 or 4k ( gotta have a triple disc ) will work badass.

the LAST pm i got from D_K was he wanted a BEAST, A MONSTER, if this is the case screw the 4:10 gears, go bigger, i would rest on some 4:56s and nothing less than a nice triple disc stall, talk with the guys im sure cirlce d, yank, precission industries, could offer some damn good advice, myself would mention a 4c stall from chris, specially if you decide to spray any amount of nitrous, i felt i lost alot when i was spraying concidering i was built for NA horsepower on the 4400 with a 5c stall, chris mentioned i probably would or more then likely loose 20-30% through the converter, personally i think he was correct..

by the way, i still have that shortblock and its being studded i offered it to one person if he wants it its his if not it'll be oiled then put on a shelf for a rainy day!!

Quick Reply: which heads? L92s or stage 2 243s???