INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Head replacement 2v to 3v.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head replacement 2v to 3v.

I've pretty much given up on the idea of making a 4v out of my 2v 2002 5.4L F-150. The 4v would give me what I wanted to 3000 rpm and then kick in the other intake/exhaust runners after that. It seems the closest I can come is by using a set of 3v heads. Any body have an idea as to what would be involved? Comp Cams has the cams so it must be a popular enuff engine to consider making them. I would imagine the stock ECU could handle the new (ported) flow requirements. I'd appreciate any help I might get.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:42 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Dude this is a LSx website...you know GMC and Chevrolet.....
Old 02-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Oops! So sorry. It was meant for another forum. I used to work at GM. Does that atone for my mistake????
Old 02-01-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are Ford guys here too! not many but this Forum is for any performance truck not just lsx
Old 02-01-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Yep, Ford, Chevy, and Dodge trucks. Diesels and gasoline!

As far as the 3v idea, I have no clue as I am an LSX guy.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

OK then I don't get drummed out of here then?

I'm trying to get up all the info I can before starting. Right now the spark plugs from the factory break off easily and the removal has got to be a real fun job. There should be some aftermarket replacements available within a short time I would imagine some of the 3v's are in need of a plug change.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:42 PM
TOTM: November '07

You are going to need alot of parts to put the 3v heads on- it would be much easier to find a complete engine in a junkyard. You will need the heads w/VVT setup, cam chain covers, longer chains ( I am poretty sure they are longer) and the intake manifold. I am not sure if the lever that varies the intake geometry is mechanical or electric. I know it didnt get hooked up on mine when the new engine was put in and it was a complete dog on the top end.

speaking of the spark plugs- I think it is stupid that the change interval is 100k, but most peoples warranty was up at 36k. So there were alot of guys out there that had to fix Ford's design problem out of their own wallet.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:44 PM
TOTM: November '07

Originally Posted by fastgmc53
Dude this is a LSx website...you know GMC and Chevrolet.....
This forums is as the name applies- it is for all performance trucks.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by explorer5.0
You are going to need alot of parts to put the 3v heads on- it would be much easier to find a complete engine in a junkyard. You will need the heads w/VVT setup, cam chain covers, longer chains ( I am poretty sure they are longer) and the intake manifold. I am not sure if the lever that varies the intake geometry is mechanical or electric. I know it didnt get hooked up on mine when the new engine was put in and it was a complete dog on the top end.

speaking of the spark plugs- I think it is stupid that the change interval is 100k, but most peoples warranty was up at 36k. So there were alot of guys out there that had to fix Ford's design problem out of their own wallet.
Sounds like the advice I'm getting from the engine builder. When I was pushing him for the 4v heads he said he would get the whole setup first to make it easier but it would be my problem to make it start/run. I want a better short block so the whole engine sounds good. The cams are going to be replaced with Comp Cams pieces(always had good luck with them).
Old 02-02-2008, 02:18 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Try looking on car-part.com (search engine for salvage yards) to see what you can find. I think that the three and four valve engines were mainly in the Lincoln Navigators.

Some of us think of performance-trucks.net as an LS1 site from back in the day when the LS based GM trucks were a portion of LS1Tech.com. However, all of this Truck Performance and Group Discussion area is not brand specific. I still forget that myself.

Steve

Quick Reply: Head replacement 2v to 3v.