INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Forging an Atlas L5R

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forging an Atlas L5R

I'm looking to forge the bottom on my 3.7L 5 cylinder Atlas in my '07 Colorado. Now, when I dabbled in LSx motors, rods, pistons, and such were everywhere. I'm coming up empty on parts for the 3.7L.

Now, I'm sure calling up, Diamond, Ross, Wiseco or the like and having a custom set made would be fine, but for right now, I'm just looking for off-the-shelf stuff if it's available.

Anybody forged one of these motors yet? Any idea what kind of power they can handle? Stock crank pretty stout?
Old 10-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out coloradofans forum, google it.

i dont think that anyone has done the I5 especially the 3.7L, there might have been a forged 3.5L i dont know, but they have been out longer than the 3.7. not really a good reason to because there isnt much for fueling options or even SC/Turbo options either. unless you are doing a huge n2o shot....
Old 10-28-2007, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nightrunner
check out coloradofans forum, google it.

i dont think that anyone has done the I5 especially the 3.7L, there might have been a forged 3.5L i dont know, but they have been out longer than the 3.7. not really a good reason to because there isnt much for fueling options or even SC/Turbo options either. unless you are doing a huge n2o shot....

Yea, I've been on that site for awhile now.

I actually asked the same question over there before posting it here, but, I don't expect I'll find much advice over there. That forum is mostly about throttle body spacers, and seat covers.

Oh, and as far as a fuel system; if I do this (turbo project) I'll be doing a custom return setup, so I'm not too worried there.

In the end, I'll probably just end up calling one of the big manufacturers and having a set made for me. I mostly just wanted to see if anyone else had taken on a project like this yet. Which, I'm finding kind of suprising that nobody has in the 5-6 years the trucks been out.

Certainly I'm not the first to do a ***** to the walls build on one of these things....?
Old 10-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Mr. Obvious

most of the guys doing a ***** to the walls thing is swapping in a LS1/LS2

i was actually referring to the availability( or lack of) fuel injectors. we have proven with the trucks that 550rwhp+ can be made on the returnless system. does anybody make big fuel injectors for the colorados?

problem may come into getting forged rods and crank. how much boost do you plan on running?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

most of the guys doing a ***** to the walls thing is swapping in a LS1/LS2
Meh. That's no fun. Besides, I've still got a 100,000 mile warranty to swindle GM out of. lol

i was actually referring to the availability( or lack of) fuel injectors. we have proven with the trucks that 550rwhp+ can be made on the returnless system. does anybody make big fuel injectors for the colorados?
This part, I can honestly say, I haven't checked into yet. I'm still in the preliminary/brainstorming stages of planning. I guess I just assumed the Atlas motors use the same style of injectors as the LSx motors. Could be wrong, because I haven't checked into it yet.

problem may come into getting forged rods and crank. how much boost do you plan on running?
I'm hoping I won't have too much trouble in finding a decent set of rods and pistons. I'm also hoping the crank can hold a good amount of power.

I might have been a little misleading in my '***** to the walls' comment. I'm only looking for about 500-550 rwhp, traction dependent. This is also my daily driver (probably shouldn't mod it at all ), but, it sounds fun, so I'm moving forward with it.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AustinL911
This is also my daily driver (probably shouldn't mod it at all ), but, it sounds fun, so I'm moving forward with it.
So true.

How much more difficult would it be to swap to an lsx motor? Parts are cheap and plentiful and power is relatively easy to obtain.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Mr. Obvious

its a tight fit.

ans unless someone came out with motor mounts, they have to be custom
Old 10-28-2007, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stoichiometric
So true.

How much more difficult would it be to swap to an lsx motor? Parts are cheap and plentiful and power is relatively easy to obtain.

Honestly don't know. But, I do know that I DON'T want to do an lsx swap. I've already got a TT Z06 in the works, so that takes care of my lsx obsession. Don't need a second

I'm also doing it this way for other reasons:

want to retain my 5 cyl fuel mileage.

want a boosted inline for ***** and giggles.

want a sleeper to make some monies off of.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:32 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I know there was someone running some solid mid 12's on a 100 shot on an I5 motor not too long ago... the vids were in the multimedia section...
Old 10-29-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AustinL911
...I've already got a TT Z06 in the works

Quick Reply: Forging an Atlas L5R