INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

floating valves

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 01:28 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default floating valves

i was getting my oil change and one of the techs at quick car came over and told me that with my cut out i was "hurting my motor" because i was taking away too much back pressure and one of his dodge owning friends had an electric one said it caused his valves to float. first what is a floating valve and second, could this happen? he also said it reduces my power all around. still havent capped my cut out because i have never heard any of this before and i feel top end power from it.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

Cut out floating valves......no. Valve float is baisicly when the cam is spinning so fast, that the valve springs cant close the valves before the cam comes around and opens the valve again. The only time this will happen is at high rpm or if you didnt upgrade your valve springs when you did the cam swap. I'm not sure if your cam requires different springs. You might lose a little torque on the bottom end with a cut out but like you said you gain topend. Hope this helps
Old 03-26-2006, 02:21 AM
TECH Resident

another case of a oil change type mechanic useing his vast knowledge of everything automotive, i hate these guys that give ya there 2 cents
Old 03-26-2006, 09:41 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

as do i, i was pretty sure i knew everything about the costs and gains of a cut out and when this guy decided to lecture me as i wrote the check just kinda struck a nerve.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:46 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once had a guy tell me the injectors I had on my 92 Mustang GT (28lb SVOs) were Chrysler injectors. I said, "No, they are SVOs. SVO is stamped right on them." He said "That doesn't matter. You tell by the color!" Oh... Okay.

He then pointed under my hood and said I needed a new fuel filter because mine was full of sludge. I laughed in his face and told him to close the hood (the fuel filters on mustangs are back by the fuel tank under the car, and had just been replaced a month earlier). I haven't been back to one of those places since lol.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

I was looking at your sig and just saw STS turbo, and started thinking, If you have a cutout and a rear mount turbo, you have bigger problems. THEN I saw the "looking towards..." part. Im an idiot.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:56 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a cutout..

Downstream from the turbo
Old 03-26-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

OK OK now I officially got told.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Default $20 Lube Techs...

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
as do i, i was pretty sure i knew everything about the costs and gains of a cut out and when this guy decided to lecture me as i wrote the check just kinda struck a nerve.
Yeah, if you take your advise from a twenty dollar oil change shop you will be in trouble. That is the biggest BS myth of all time. The cut out will help you across the board and will NOT cause your valves to float and you don't want backpressure if you like power. Backpressure is the enemy of efficiency and to make more power you want it to be as efficient as possible.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Originally Posted by exhappen
OK OK now I officially got told.

Everybody Point and laugh!!! Just kiddin man.

I too was wondering this. I know that the LSX motors do like some backpressure but i have always been told that it is possible to float or hang a valve with no backpressure. (I was told this when i had my little vortec 305) I have stronger valvesprings so it all works out anyways.

Quick Reply: floating valves