INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Explain Block Fill to me please

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:41 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Explain Block Fill to me please

I've seen it in catalogs, I've heard of racers using it. But I don't know what the stuff really is, and how can the cooling system in your engine possible work if it is filled?

Please educate me on block filling, what the process really is, and the pros & cons of it. Help me learn something new.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm no expert, but I know its used to beef up the block for extreme duty. Diesel drag guys fill their blocks and only run coolant in the head because they don't run long enough to heat it up to the point of causing problems. For those running 150psi of boost on a recreational drag truck, filling the block helps. It does completely remove coolant from the block, depending on how high its filled, but either way its definitely not a daily driver mod.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:53 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe its basically used to help the cylinder walls stay intact under high cylinder pressures.

Thats why Flaco races around Lil Sis all the time and not hayhauler, because it has no coolant.(atleast his old motor was)
Old 05-08-2011, 12:12 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Is the stuff a gel or a solid? Does it cure & then turn into a solid? I understand that it somehow strengthens the block and stabilizes the cylinders. I'm just trying to learn exactly what the stuff is and how it works. Sounds like a track only mod, can't run the engine for too long before engine temps get high.

Who has run a filled block, and how high do engine temps get? How long til it gets to those temps?
Old 05-08-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Far as I know block fill has characterists similar to ardex "self leveling concrete".You can half fill a block which is the more popular way atleast round here.A good oil cooler setup is recomended along with a alternative fuel to pump gas petrol like alcohol.Only cause, it runs much cooler then petrol.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

You will see block fill used in applications where piston skirts come out of the bottom of the cylinder more then reccomended.Much to far for the walls alone to keep the piston from rocking.It also aids head studs by not allowing block distortion to effect clamping force as much.Most block fills come about by way of guys tryin to squeeze more out of their block then intended like overboring or large stroke cranks.Now days its a toss up for ls guys since after market blocks are relatively cheap.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:20 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Cash for clunkers
Old 05-08-2011, 01:24 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its basically cement/epoxy that is poured into the water passages.. In turn no cooling. You can fill them solid or half way.. Mores so engines that run on alky meth exc can run longer then gas cars with solid or half filled blocks due to the flash point of the fuel( run cooler) def something you do not want if you plan to drive the car around..
Old 05-08-2011, 01:29 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

This isn't something that I was considering doing. I just wanted to know more about it.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen dirt track cars do this.They just can't over do it because they race for good amount of time.

Quick Reply: Explain Block Fill to me please