INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Engine swap checklist

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
KY I didnt have to replace the gasket there is NO reason to get a new unless the old one is damaged.

The oil pump thing with the o-ring you are going to have to pull the pickup tube anyway to get the rod bolts in so you are going to cross that bridge anyway so might as well replace the oil pump if you think you want to.

Lining it up and installing it correctly if you arent a moron you can do it. Four damn bolts and torque them to spec and you are done its almost idiot proof.
I'll do a wait and see on the oil pan gasket. If its and o-ring type you guys are right. Chance are I won't replace it. Thats why I have 2 sets of valve cover gaskets, 2 sets of tranny pan gaskets, front cover seal, etc... They come in the gasket sets and I didn't see the need to replace them. Just don't like re-doing things. Especially if it's over a gasket that costs a few bucks.

I'm not wanting to replace the the oil pump. Stockers are fine in my opinion. I was basing the alignment concern on something I had read once upon a time. Official oil pump install guide. Involved feeler gauges and quite a tight tolerance for getting it aligned. No experience with it and you are probably right, its no big deal when you get into it. Sounds tedious from reading though. I've also read several posts about guys that have installed oil pumps and having no oil pressure afterward from some o-ring pinched. Maybe they were morons. dunno.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I just noticed the cam in his sig. With the 6L I think you could go bigger pretty easy. I have a 210/218 .551 112lsa and it doesn't really have a noticeable lope to it. You could get away with a 220 type cam I bet and still be very daily drivable.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am still debating a new cam, If I did it would be the Ligenfelter GT2-3 207/220 .571/.578 w 1.7 rocker 118.5 CL. Really not that much larger than what I have. A larger cam would almost dictate I up my stall to. Still trying to balance out HP vs. low end torque. Truck vs. race truck. Pretty much decided to stay with my current cam. Easy enough to change out later after I get out from under the 4500 bucks I've already dropped on the truck in the last couple months.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think going with a bigger cam will hurt your low end, especially with the 2600 stall and radix?? yeah I hear you about dropping alot of $, got to give the bank a chance to start going up again....
Old 02-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where people screw up at is getting in a hurry and just shoving the oil pick up tube into the oil pump. They also put the o-ring on the oil pickup tube instead of putting it in the intake of the oil pump. So yes those that pinch the o-ring IMO are retards it just takes common sense and attention to detail to not screw that up. Put the o-ring in the intake of the oil pump put some oil on the o-ring and on the end of the oil pickup tube so they will slide easily and then stick it in there and put the bolt through the retainer tab very easy and not that big a deal. The shim you are talking about is for people that put a double roller t-chain on.