INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

The engine is here

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 4.8 with 11,700 miles on it and only changed oil once didn't look like that. I'd say it had at least 25k miles, probably more. None the less, the bearing looks good.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys, thanks for all the input. Maybe the engine doesn't have 9K miles. Maybe a few more. If it does not much. Other than the varnish which can be cheap oil. Unchanged oil I dunno, the engine is mint. There is some evidence of something going on outside the engine on the drivers side, possibly heat or battery acid. The drivers side valve cover is varnished up and the passenger side is pristine. The oil pickup tube and windage tray had more varnish on it on the drivers side. I have had every rod bearing out of it. They are pristine. I've looked at the bores from the bottom. They are perfect, still have cross hatch in them. The plugs were original and look brand new. There is no sign of wear on rocker arms to valve stem. The intake ports to the heads aren't even carboned up. This is a very low miles engine. I am completely satisfied with it and will do nothing more to it. It is good to go.

Thinking about running something in the first oil change it to clean up the varnish. What do you guys recommend?

Last edited by KySilverado; 03-03-2006 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:10 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Guys, thanks for all the input. Maybe the engine doesn't have 9K miles. Maybe a few more. If it does not much. Other than the varnish which can be cheap oil. Unchanged oil I dunno, the engine is mint. There is some evidence of something going on outside the engine on the drivers side, possibly heat or battery acid. The drivers side valve cover is varnished up and the passenger side is pristine. The oil pickup tube and windage tray had more varnish on it on the drivers side. I have had every rod bearing out of it. They are pristine. I've looked at the bores from the bottom. They are perfect, still have cross hatch in them. The plugs were original and look brand new. There is no sign of wear on rocker arms to valve stem. The intake ports to the heads aren't even carboned up. This is a very low miles engine. I am completely satisfied with it and will do nothing more to it. It is good to go.

Thinking about running something in the first oil change it to clean up the varnish. What do you guys recommend?
I wouldn't recommend using any kinda flush. These motors are WAY sensitive to tiny particles in the oil jamming up the valve in the oil pump. If you go and break that stuff loose, it could be disaster....been there done that. I would guess that the detergents in Mobil 1 will clean it up for you over time. Now go get it running already !!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by L-EATER
I wouldn't recommend using any kinda flush. These motors are WAY sensitive to tiny particles in the oil jamming up the valve in the oil pump. If you go and break that stuff loose, it could be disaster....been there done that. I would guess that the detergents in Mobil 1 will clean it up for you over time. Now go get it running already !!!!
Good deal. I'd have it in this weekend if I weren't waiting on a replacement TC. Hurry up and wait now.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Run an HD oil in it for the first couple of oil changes that should clean it pretty well.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Rod bolts are in. Oil pan back on.

Attached a picture of the rod bolts in, and first time I've seen the cracked rod so snapped a picture of it.

Did you remove the ferral (sp?) before you put the Katechs in?
Old 03-03-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zick
Did you remove the ferral (sp?) before you put the Katechs in?
Yes, I called it a bushing. It comes out when you tap the original rod bolts out.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, I called it a bushing. It comes out when you tap the original rod bolts out.
Ok, just wanted to be sure before I put my set in. I've heard your suppose to but the instructions don't make any mention about it.

Thanks,
Old 03-03-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zick
Ok, just wanted to be sure before I put my set in. I've heard your suppose to but the instructions don't make any mention about it.

Thanks,
You're welcome. You have to remove the bushings. The new bolts wouldn't even fit with them in place. They have a shoulder on them. I didn't try real hard but I don't think the bushing will even slide over the threads of the stock bolt.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:30 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what about using a little tranny fluid in your oil, high detergent action would clean your motor, but its probably fine.

Quick Reply: The engine is here