INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

ebay ls head studs

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
It is apples to apples. You have to hope nothing goes on with those head studs every day. I don't know what all complaints people have had with them, but i know they would be in the back of my mind when i turned my truck up to 18-20psi. With arp rod and head bolts, i dont even think twice when i shift my stock 5.3 at 7k or more running as much boost as i please.

It has nothing to do with being a slave to a hobby. It has to do with doing things right. I can afford my arp bolts, but if I couldnt then I would do something to actually afford them instead. The first time you have a mistake that kills a head gasket or worse then you have payed for those arps.

to be clear yes i wouldnt have a problem with these studs on a stock or maybe a mild na build, but pushing an engine to its limits is not the best place to skimp on critical parts.
I don't see it as skimping. I know people who run them in boost setups that put down good power. I haven't heard anything bad about them. Trusted sources run them on the net. Good enough for me to save $220 to put towards other parts.

Really isn't about being able to afford the arp's. I don't think they are worth $300. And I'm not paying that if I don't have to. Especially when people have and are running that kind of boost and and high rpm on a stock rotating assembly with stock head bolts.

Just saying tho, some people might consider spinning stock rods to 7k rpm, skimping on critical parts.

Also, if you're going to sacrifice your diet to buy parts, IMO that's a slave to the hobby. Maybe some dont see it that way. But whatever man, good luck with your build. Seems like a nice truck.

Originally Posted by 72te27
The Chinese studs may work perfectly fine in any given application, however, they are in no way the "same" as the ARP studs. ARP are made in-house in the U.S. with alloys that meet much higher than minimum standards of purity, etc. Quality control is much higher and the threads are cold rolled J threads. NOT equivalent products.
I'm not making the argument that they are a better product. I'm just saying that they will do the job for more than mild applications. I mean, we've all seen big power made with completely stock engines (fasteners to the crank). Can't tell me running eBay head studs are that big of a risk.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
here is a question. would you guys use $20 rod bolts off ebay too??
Nope, because the stock rod bolts don't need upgraded.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
Nope, because the stock rod bolts don't need upgraded.
Lmfao! Great response. But I really don't know the ability of the stock rods past 500hp.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive seen them fail twice with a just fine tune so i say you do need arp. and of course we are talking over 500 hp

i have beaten stock bolts a ton, but feel rod bolts are still a good idea, but going cheap could be a downgrade... just like headbolts and studs.

Last edited by chevrolet all the way; 05-31-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Would you agree that it's high rpm that hurts the rod bolts? Not necessarily high horsepower?
Old 05-31-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

yes i say rpm has a lot to do with it, but quick rpm changes and huge cylinder pressure arent something im comfortable with on a part known to fail.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i worked at a place called motorville and we sold some chinese crap. and pro comp was one of them. i would go with arp bolts that you can reuse.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know I'm bumping a old thread but I just used these ebay studs in a motor they work great no problems. they are same thing as a arp. when you put them up next to each can't even tell the difference.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont blame you slowswb. I just bolted them into my current project. Even though I havent got to push them to their limit yet, I am still impressed so far. I like em!

I love the fact they're reusable and only $10 more than stock TTY bolts that you can only use once. Plus I'm betting these studs will turn out stronger than TTY bolts.

Here's a lil clip of them bolted into my current "Squirter" project.Squirter in A Gear Heads Garage Update 14 June 2013 - YouTube

That motor was full of water and has rusted cylinders. I just sanded it out and slapped it back together to see what'd happen. Here's the whole video playlist on it for anyone interested.
The "Squirter" Project - YouTube
Old 07-05-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lots of people run ebay studs and have 0 issues at high horsepower applications.

Quick Reply: ebay ls head studs