INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

differance between 112 over 112+4 lsa

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differance between 112 over 112+4 lsa

stupid question and im not goin to buy the one that sounds better ok my buddy has a 224/581 on a 112+4 in a 05 5.3 LTs ory yada yada but my question is the truck sounds very timid at idle ive heard a 220/581 on a 112 and it sounded meaner at idle does the 112+4 mean it has 4 degrees advance ground into the cam and is that the reason it sounds timid ?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

The 4 degrees advance bring the power band in at a lower rpm! They usually have a choppier idle.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Let’s see if I can say this where it make sense. A cam ground on an 112cl is a 112 and a cam ground on an 114cl is a 114, no matter how much or little advance is ground in. Think of it as the cam manufacturer is taking the cam and twisting the installation the same as you would by using a multi-keyed timing chain. They are just doing it in the manufacturing process so that you can just basically line up the cam dot-to-dot. That doesn’t mean the cam should not be degreed in, but that is the general idea. As has been mentioned a hundred times if not more, having the advance ground in moves the power-band down which generally helps in a lot of applications (especially trucks) and probably why everyone swears by the + cams. However one could get the same end result by spec-ing out the correct cam to begin with and or using an adjustable timing chain.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:48 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok -- a cam ground on a 112 ICL with an LSA of 112 has 0* advance or retard (let's call this a 'true 112' even though that's a really bad name). A cam on a 112 ICL and a 116 LSA has 4* advance, which is why the true 112 sounds choppier. A cam on an 108 ICL and a 112 LSA is still 4* advanced.

By timing your cam (or using an adjustible timing set up), you can change the ICL of the cam -- say you take your 112 ICL cam and you install it 4* advanced-- thats now a 108 ICL, etc. **THESE DAYS, installing dot-on-dot is teh pwn IMO** ((Edit: but this does NOT change the LSA, because a change to cam timing on install changes both ICL and ECL))

Advancing the cam builds more low and mid range torque and lowers the power band (retarding builds more high end torque and raises the power band).

A tighter lsa (meaning lower number) moves torque lower on the power band and increases max torque, while narrowing the power band, building higher cylinder pressure. Because the lsa is tighter, there is generally more overlap, which means rougher idle, lower idle vacuum, decrease p to v clearence, etc. Wider lsas raise the torque to higher rpm, reduces max torque, while broadening the powerband, reducing cylinder pressures, decreasing overlap, increasing p to v, etc.

So the ultimate answer to your question is: Yes, that cam has 4* advance ground in and that's why it's tamer at idle.

Last edited by TurboBerserker; 06-23-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Ok -- a cam ground on a 112 ICL with an LSA of 112 has 0* advance or retard (let's call this a 'true 112' even though that's a really bad name). A cam on a 112 ICL and a 116 LSA has 4* advance, which is why the true 112 sounds choppier. A cam on an 108 ICL and a 112 LSA is still 4* advanced.

By timing your cam (or using an adjustible timing set up), you can change the ICL of the cam -- say you take your 112 ICL cam and you install it 4* retarded -- thats now a 108 ICL, etc. **THESE DAYS, installing dot-on-dot is teh pwn IMO**

Advancing the cam builds more low and mid range torque and lowers the power band (retarding builds more high end torque and raises the power band).

A tighter lsa (meaning lower number) moves torque lower on the power band and increases max torque, while narrowing the power band, building higher cylinder pressure. Because the lsa is tighter, there is generally more overlap, which means rougher idle, lower idle vacuum, decrease p to v clearence, etc. Wider lsas raise the torque to higher rpm, reduces max torque, while broadening the powerband, reducing cylinder pressures, decreasing overlap, increasing p to v, etc.

So the ultimate answer to your question is: Yes, your cam has 4* advanced ground in, and yes that's why it's tamer at idle.
i see kinda thought i was right in certain ways but this pretty much explains my question thanks

Last edited by TurboBerserker; 06-23-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good info
Old 06-21-2009, 07:09 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

By timing your cam (or using an adjustible timing set up), you can change the ICL of the cam -- say you take your 112 ICL cam and you install it 4* retarded -- thats now a 108 ICL, etc. **THESE DAYS, installing dot-on-dot is teh pwn IMO**

So the ultimate answer to your question is: Yes, your cam has 4* advanced ground in, and yes that's why it's tamer at idle.
wow. thanks for the explanation. that makes more sense than anything else i've read.

Last edited by TurboBerserker; 06-23-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So the ultimate answer to your question is: Yes, your cam is 4* advanced (and hence has a higher lsa than the true 112), and yes that's why it's tamer at idle.
very well put
Old 06-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Erik you're so awesome
Old 06-21-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

so say 224/224 cam with a 112 compared to a 224/224 cam with a 112+2 the 112 will have a choppy idle and lower power band and the 112+2 will not be so choppy and high power band??? did i get that right? makin sure i understand this right so i can choose my cam soon

Quick Reply: differance between 112 over 112+4 lsa