INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

cam for towing

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam for towing

Hello newbie here trying to find the best towing setup. Currently have headers throtel body spacer and cold air intake. Rebuilding trans now not looking to get to into the trans. Planning on nelson tuning and cam, flex lite fans. In the cam dept don’t know where to start that’s where I need your help. I plan on towing my toy hauler a little easier. My truck is 1 1999 GMC 1500. Please let me know where to start and to even purchase these products many thanks. If anymore info is needed please let m know my budget is $1500 also.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Teching In

sorry need to correct that. Rebuilding trans now not looking to get to into the trans. but not looking to get to radical like stall. possible t converter if needed sorry for screw up.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks For All The Help
Old 03-08-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I understand your frustration but you're pretty vague with many things. You didn't even list what your engine was, but I can assume that it's the 5.7 bc of the thottle body spacer. No one is going to jump on here and just tell you what to do like you're making a wish or something. It's hard enough making decisions for your own build let alone someone elses's. I'm still a newbie of sorts too and I've done the same thing, wanting someone just to tell me what's best. In the end only you can decide that. I used to get pissed when people just told me to do a search but after a while you do tend to see a lot of the same questions asked again and again.
There are several discussions going on about cams in other threads, pay attention to things, displacement, cam specs, usage..... you begin to get a very general feel for what you can roughly expect with different pieces. I've been collecting articles and reading about engine builds for over 3 years now and I have just begun to have a very basic understanding. I learn something new almost every week or two. I'll go back and pull out an old engine build from over two years ago and figure something new out about it that I never noticed in the first place.
Good luck with everything. I feel like "the need" for engine modification should be considered a treatable sickness, I know I'm obsessed with it. Remember that this is a discussion not a place to be spoon fed ideas.
By the way, welcome to the sight. This is the holy grail of information on truck modifications, enjoy!
Old 03-09-2007, 01:04 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I made the same mistake too, started asking people what I should do and got frustrated when no one answered only to find out that question was already asked a million times. Started searching and found threads 300 post long on that topic. I'd give you some advice on a cam but I'm still learning about them myself.
This link I just looked up real quick and it explains the different jargon for cams and why certain aspects of a cam are important.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...camshaft_info/
In any case you need to find a cam that's gonna give you torque low end rather than power at the higher end. You're not gonna be running your truck at 6000RPM's towing so find something that's gonna help you down low. Worst comes to worst call Lingenfelter and talk to their techie's and they'll tell you what to look for and what you need, that's what I ended up doing! Hope you find a solution to your cam problem.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:07 AM
Teching In

sorry guys didnt want to act pissed. not asking u to do the work but im needing to get pointed in the right direction so if any good links please let me know. i have 5.3 liter and also headers. thanks guys love the site learning alot about everything.