INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Cam Swap prices ?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Swap prices ?????

Hi all, Ive been a member here for a short time and love reading all the info you guys have to offer and also all the projects diffrent people have. Anyways to my question I have a 04 silverado Rcsb with the 4.8 i been wanting to do a cam swap for some time finally im getting around to seriously get this done unfortunatly i have to have a shop do the install not becuase i dont have the knowledge but becuase i use a wheelchair but thats another story. So what is the average cost for a shop to charge for labor on this i would probably gather all the parts myself (cam,springs,push rods etc.) so i would go into the shop asking for the labor and tune. The tune is 700 thats a custum tune with dyno time sounds like alot but that really all avaiable to me. By the way im in orange county California. i have got a really ruff estimate of 2800 with out the tune to me me that seemed high (very high) so i came here to see what you guys think. Thanks for any help you guys can offer
Old 05-31-2006, 05:11 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$2800??? Go somewhere else!
I paid $600+ change for the cam install including springs and pushrods. Tune was like $150 more but to be fair I already had a good base tune down with same tuner so it was more of a dyno tune adjustment for the cam. A full dyno tune should run around $500 more or less. It is a lot of work.
Parts are sold in 'kits complete for around $700. Someone will pipe up to give you the name.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:15 PM
9 Second Truck Club

If you are looking for a good used cam there are tons of them in the classifieds section on ls1tech, the average price I have seen is 250, new pushrods are 100 bucks, and 918 springs are $200 new. I was charged 600 dollars for the labor on the cam and springs. I would definately get a dyno tune instead of a mail order. 2800 for a cam change sounds too high and I think you can do much better than that. might aswell put a 6.0 for that price.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Launching!

I see on here all the time cam swap from 400 600 dollars, and than go with a Nelsons performance mail order tune he dont miss on his tune. And there only $350 and a retune is free so your all set for future mods.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:01 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

i got my dyno-tune on sale for 350. the higher i was ever quoted for cam swap was by bumberas in houston and they said it was ~18 hours of work so they wanted 1400 bucks. still amazingly high. 500-750 is the norm. if 2800 is all thats available to you, get a cam swap how-to and every hour you spend doing it yourself throw about 80bucks into a box. when you are done check how much money you have in that box and go buy some more parts with it! i guarantee it wont take 2800/80 hours to do this install yourself and most mechanics arent 80/hr either
Old 06-01-2006, 01:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Wayyyy to high.I looked around once cause i was gonna do it but had very little time on y hands...turns out the funds got spent before anything ever got bought...but the higest i was quted was 750 for instal.550 for dyno tune.Go elsewhere for sure.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

cam swap labor costs have ranged from $200-$600, if you're quoted more it better include the cam.
I paid $670 cash to a dealership for a cam+springs, shift kit, servo, hard. sep. plate, kevlar band, and torque conv. I provided all the parts except 7qts of Mobil 1 syn trans fluid. I'm not complaining... just talk to the guys, some are cool about it and most can be bribed with a 12 pack
Old 06-01-2006, 10:26 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

The most it should be is $750ish if you have adjustible rockers that need to be dialed in. A cam alone should be cheaper. $2800 = a shop that is taking advantage of you.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:37 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seeyaa
Nelsons performance mail order tune he dont miss on his tune.

BS, Ive seen it.

Anyway, definatly get the Dyno tune like you stated, but from what Ive seen $600 is about the norm. If you were closer to La, I can easily be bribed to help, but Ca is a little far. If you are wheelchair bound, you will definatly have to find someone to do it, hell I usually wind up IN the engine compartment when Im doing them (unless the truck is lowered) Have you talked to the speed shop you plan to get the tune from? Also what all is included in the $2800?? Hell for that, (or hald that) Id be willing to fly out there and do it for you, Ive never been to Cali.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

The shop i talked to was Superior Automotive in Buena Park Ca. they would do both the tune and the swap. From what i hear they do excellent work and i have visited there shop very nice and clean with alot of nice cars there all the time. When i talked to them they said 2800 for a custom grind cam shaft and every thing included to complete the install including dyno time before and after the install except for the tune. The thing with the tune is that they use the predator with a costum file/tune or they also can do the mail order tune i figured thats a high price for the tune but the mail order tune from say nelson is 400 and some change this place gives me dyno time can log any info they need to and get a damn near perfect tune the first time so that may be worth it. But the 2800 part is what gets me. I should have clarified that i did not ask for labor only i asked for them to supply everything. That reminds me what do/should i get/need for a somewhat aggresive cam? If someone would list the parts needed i would appreciate it. Does any one happen to know a shop in southern Ca. that may be a little cheaper or that works on gen3 motors?

Quick Reply: Cam Swap prices ?????