INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Cam specs and pics of t/ Lunati cam for my 418 paging SportSide lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2bseen is running over 11:1 CR in his truck with the same cam as me except 1* more duration on the intake and Im on a 112lsa he is on a 113lsa and he drives it on 93octane so take it for what its worth. You can only bench race a setup so much. Those damn calculations alot of times you will find dont mean **** like this setup. 2bseen is running the same setup as me and is doing fine with it even in summer weather. It remains to be seen exactly what the CR is I just got my DART LS1 heads in today and the shop cleaned up the combustion chambers on them and enlarged them a bit for my app so I dont know exactly how big they are.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Guys lets not turn this thread into a pissing match. I chose the cam I did cause it had the numbers that I wanted, the price I wanted, and it was supposedly readily available(took way too long) and its in the motor and the motor is in the truck and it aint comin out
Wasnt my intent!!

I was just speaking from the past when I was looking into cams myself. I never saw **** on Lunati. Yes they did make the B1 for MTI and that was about all I saw before I got my Comp 212/218. And even now, if you search on Tech, only like 3-4 pages even come up if you search for Lunati cams. I wasnt gonna pick a Lunati just because a very small group of people said they were great when all the weight was in favor of a Comp grind. I dont doubt they are a good grind. But I only wanted to stab a cam once. When I looked into Crane or Vinci, all I read about was how they had lazy, slow lobes and the majority of the LS1 crowd preferred a Comp XE or XER high lift lobe and even Cam Motions lobes. And those who tried a Crane took it out soon after because they just all around werent pleased with how it panned out. Yes an agressive lobe cam is hard on valvetrain. But any other than stock cam is. I dont care what kind of lobe it is.

Last edited by 99Silver6.0; 01-05-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
Wasnt my intent!!

I was just speaking from the past when I was looking into cams myself. I never saw **** on Lunati. Yes they did make the B1 for MTI and that was about all I saw before I got my Comp 212/218. And even now, if you search on Tech, only like 3-4 pages even come up if you search for Lunati cams. When I looked into Crane or Vinci, all I read about was how they had lazy lobes and the majority of the LS1 crowd preferred a Comp XE or XER high lift lobe and even Cam Motions lobes. And those who tried a Crane took it out soon after because they just all around werent pleased with how it panned out.
Well IMO it is going to be plenty for what I am doing for now. Im not going to push it to the limits till this summer whiuch by then I might be rebuilding the engine anyway I need to get the crank rebalanced and put on a lathe anyway and have the throws turned so who knows what is in store. This summer I will have some for of FI on it and that will warrant a cam change anyway. I know you didnt mean to 99 its cool just seemed like some people(including myself) were maybe starting to take it too seriously. No big deal man

you got your power adder on yet?
Old 01-05-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Well IMO it is going to be plenty for what I am doing for now. Im not going to push it to the limits till this summer whiuch by then I might be rebuilding the engine anyway I need to get the crank rebalanced and put on a lathe anyway and have the throws turned so who knows what is in store. This summer I will have some for of FI on it and that will warrant a cam change anyway. I know you didnt mean to 99 its cool just seemed like some people(including myself) were maybe starting to take it too seriously. No big deal man

you got your power adder on yet?
I wasnt out to **** anybody off. Im sure its gonna work pretty well in that big cubed ***** youve got!! No, my deal isnt on yet. I need to get my LSD and headers on first. You gonna go turbo now?????
Old 01-05-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

2bseen is running over 11:1 CR in his truck with the same cam as me except 1* more duration on the intake and Im on a 112lsa he is on a 113lsa and he drives it on 93octane so take it for what its worth. You can only bench race a setup so much. Those damn calculations alot of times you will find dont mean **** like this setup. 2bseen is running the same setup as me and is doing fine with it even in summer weather. It remains to be seen exactly what the CR is I just got my DART LS1 heads in today and the shop cleaned up the combustion chambers on them and enlarged them a bit for my app so I dont know exactly how big they are.
DYNAMIC AND STATIC compression are two completely different things you can run 13:1 on 93 static compression. Dynamic compression has to do with valve events, static does not. Just because one cam says its got the same duration and lsa doesnt mean the valve events are the same.

The calculations mean alot, I cant believe your saying this and dumping all that money into a motor and you dont have an idea about how its going to perform.

Im glad youve got some guys helping you. I hope that thing runs like a raped ape. Peace.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
Im starting to get interested in this setup, never really looked at it before. What heads are going on? Were the engines your referring to above using that same cam that is closing the intake at 46 ABDC and have a static compression of 10.7:1?

My calc says dynamic is at 9.635, Ive always heard that you dont want to go over 9.0 for a street motor on 93.
I don't have the cam card but they were as follows
248/248 110 10.1
248/254 110 10.4
255/265 110 10.4

The 255/265 110 was a little jerky for everyday driving. All those are with a manual trans. The 255/265 would be livable with an automatic. The 248/248 was a 409ci. The others were a 439.
If you want to see what people are doing with compression just look at popular hotrodding's engine master's challenge over the past 3 years. Some are running as much as 13.5:1 with pump gas. That is on the dyno.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DYNAMIC AND STATIC compression are two completely different things you can run 13:1 on 93 static compression. Dynamic compression has to do with valve events, static does not. Just because one cam says its got the same duration and lsa doesnt mean the valve events are the same.

The calculations mean alot, I cant believe your saying this and dumping all that money into a motor and you dont have an idea about how its going to perform.

Im glad youve got some guys helping you. I hope that thing runs like a raped ape. Peace.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:06 PM

Dude all I am saying is that a setup almost exactly like what I am going to be running is having NO issues with it and I am aware there is more to it than duration lift and lsa to a cam. The motor calaculations were made by a man who raced professionally for over 20 years and has a had a speed shop for a little more than that and builds motors out of his shop. He knows his **** and if he says it will run then I believe him. He probably knows more baout how to build a motor correctly than all of us combined. I also aware of dynamic and static compression and the differences while I am no expert by any means on the subject thats why I get someone that is to make sure everything is going to work together and I did. If it runs a 10 on motor great if it runs a 13 on motor great I will keep playing with the combo till I get it dialed in pefect but like I said this motor is probably not going to be together for a long time at least not the cam and heads anyway due to future plans but it will do for now and take what I can throw at it. I wasnt saying that calculations are useless I was just syaing you can only bench race a setup so much get out there and do it and prove the point is what I am about and thats why Im doing the setup that I am You have brought up some valid points but all of these calculations were done 2-3 months ago everything would have been perfect if Eagle hadnt screwed up and turned the crank wrong.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

This is a great write up it explains what Im talking about.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102153

"Determining seat timing: Since the early days of the internal combustion gasoline engine, engineers have known that the Otto four stroke engine is compression limited and that the quality of the fuel used determines the CR at which the engine could operate. However, it is not the Static CR but the actual running CR of the engine that is important."

I think its gonna be an animal on 110
Old 01-05-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mjhoward
Im not the one with three busted pistons

Quick Reply: Cam specs and pics of t/ Lunati cam for my 418 paging SportSide lol