INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Broke a L92 Rocker Arm

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:44 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet
that one retainer looks like it spun, the rocker scraping it? it'lldo it if the rocker isnt properly torque

i run a 621 lift now and have ran a 624 lift. that one retainer doesnt look like its seated properly.
The springs/valves/retainers do rotate while they are operating, that's normal.

PAC Racing Springs BEEHIVE Valve Spring Testing - YouTube

I'd check everything that you can in the valvetrain...pushrod length, valve spring installed height, rocker swipe pattern on the valve, etc. as something may be off. Nice chunk missing out of that retainer btw...

Maybe it's just because they're so inexpensive and popular, or maybe it's the nature of the beast with a build requiring a .650 double spring, but it seems like there are more than a few valvetrain issues on engines with Pat Golds (Manley NexTek FTW).
Old 10-08-2011, 04:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
Always check PR length on any build, especially when there has been milling, decking, new cam, valves, seats, rockers, or head gasket. It is too easy to check, and then you know it is set up properly.

Is there a chunk missing out of the retainer? Are any rockers hitting the retainer? What does the tip of the valve look like when you wipe the oil off? There should be a uniform pattern on it. Are the tips of the rockers centered on the tip of the valve? Can you flip over the broken part, and take a pic of the foot (where the tip contacts the tip of the rocker) after you wipe the oil off? It is hard to tell from the pic, but are those offset rockers? Do not run it with the new part until you get this resolved, it will only cause more damage.
Yes there is a small chuck missing out of the retainer, the rocker arm took out that chuck when it broke. From looking at the rocker arm it broke right along a stamping line on one side so I am wondering if it was a weak spot??? Seems very odd almost like it was cracked and broke.
The tip of the valve looks good. Tip of the broken rocker looks perfect and like new with a small even wear area almost unnoticeable. Yes they are the offset L92 or LS3 intake rocker arms.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by budhayes3
The springs/valves/retainers do rotate while they are operating, that's normal.

I'd check everything that you can in the valvetrain...pushrod length, valve spring installed height, rocker swipe pattern on the valve, etc. as something may be off. Nice chunk missing out of that retainer btw...

Maybe it's just because they're so inexpensive and popular, or maybe it's the nature of the beast with a build requiring a .650 double spring, but it seems like there are more than a few valvetrain issues on engines with Pat Golds (Manley NexTek FTW).
Yeah looks like I have some checking to do. The rockers are definitely cheap only about 10 bucks each lol.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Default Anyone know what the OEM rocker specs are?

Originally Posted by matthew20061
Yeah looks like I have some checking to do. The rockers are definitely cheap only about 10 bucks each lol.
Those Patriot Golds have an extra 100# of pressure over stock springs at 1.800"... would be interesting for a lot of us to know what the limits are for pressure/lift on those stock rockers.