INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Brian Tooley economy cams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 06:44 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Brian Tooley economy cams?

since they're relatively new, does any of y'all have info/reviews/experiences with BTR's "economy" line of truck cams?

i'd asked a rep a few weeks back about the difference and was basically told the same bit you fine on the interweb - that they're just ground on a less-expensive 1050 core but offer the same performance. the only thing that means to me as a layman in the engine parts manufacturing world is that it ain't as high a quality as the regular one & runs a statistically higher chance of failure.

the reason i ask is because it *may possibly* seem like i got bait-&-switched on a cam install & didn't catch it until looking at the cam card (slightly different specs) on the way home from a shop 3hrs away.

i'm just trying to gather some real-world data about how big a deal it really is before talking to the shop about it.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

So in what ways can a cam fail?

Ive seen the repercussions of installing a cam incorrectly, but im curious as to how a cam can fail from a lower end material.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

The lobes can “round over”, they could not have a perfectly smooth surface causing scoring on the bearings and lifters, they can just “wipe out” from improper heat treating process, they could have sloppy clearance tolerances that makes them ride on half of the bearing instead of the entire bearing, they can snap on half. There are a few other ways but these are things that I have seen first hand
Old 04-02-2018, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The higher the spring loads, valve opening rates, etc the more severe the service. 1050 is not a bad material it’s just less expensive because it doesn’t have the high dollar alloying additives like chrome, nickel, vanadium, moly. It will get hard but won’t be as tough or strong in the core. In a daily driver street type motor it would not doubt last forever.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHorsepowerLSx
The lobes can “round over”, they could not have a perfectly smooth surface causing scoring on the bearings and lifters, they can just “wipe out” from improper heat treating process, they could have sloppy clearance tolerances that makes them ride on half of the bearing instead of the entire bearing, they can snap on half. There are a few other ways but these are things that I have seen first hand
10-4 good to know!
Old 04-04-2018, 09:18 PM
makes children cry

thanks guys. so with the relatively low lift of .551 and the BTR springs (i think rated to .560), this shouldn't be too stressful on the lobes & it should be fine, right? it is my daily driver, so i rarely turn much over 3000rpm unless i'm getting on it, in which the highest i really take it's 5000 or so.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think so. You can always call BTR and ask them about it.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:18 PM
makes children cry

i did a few weeks back when i first found out it existed. all i got was generic reassurances with no real detail, which is expected from somebody whose job's to take calls & sell things. not that i didn't believe that they're gonna sell products they believe will fail - after all, BTR's a big name in engine building - i was just looking for some honest, real-world experiences, that's all.

i'm all for trying weird, off-the-wall setup ideas (take both my vehicle builds, for instance), however, i prefer doing it with stuff that's been out for a while & proven to at least work on its own before throwing it into a project people don't normally do.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

The 5.7 tundras had a recall because they were breaking cams. Look up the material/info available for that, and if your BTR cam is NOT sharing anything in common with the tundra cam material or manufacturing process, rest easy and party on. Just my .02.

Honestly, I've seen cams damaged and seen em go flat, but I've never seen one break. And the cams I have seen hurt all got hurt during a session of abuse, not just cruising around.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
thanks guys. so with the relatively low lift of .551 and the BTR springs (i think rated to .560), this shouldn't be too stressful on the lobes & it should be fine, right? it is my daily driver, so i rarely turn much over 3000rpm unless i'm getting on it, in which the highest i really take it's 5000 or so.
Brian Tooley has been around for ages and he wouldn't risk his company by putting **** cams out there. Go on over to LS1 tech, his cams are super popular. Usually with his drop in truck cams you run a stock LS6 valve spring that is easy on the cam, the lift and aggressiveness of the lobes isn't as high either so everything stays pretty happy with those cams.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to use one of his cams.

Comp cams has been having trouble left and right with their cams, point is you can also pay top dollar and have the best cores and still have a rash of issues.

I would be shocked if you had an issue with a BTR grind.

If for some reason you still aren't comfortable, go with cam motion or texas speed.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...hp-22rwtq.html

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 04-06-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Brian Tooley economy cams?