INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Another LQ4 Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Current numbers, 4.020 bore 3.858 stroke, with 70cc comb chambers, and 1cc dish, it will be 10.76:1. If the block and heads don't require too much cleanup.
I know guys get away with bolting LSA's on LS3's that's why I'm OK with it. But I like the margin of error especially since E85 isn't available everywhere. Which is also why I like the idea of 2 pulleys and 2 tunes. One for in town where E85 is available, and a "road trip" pulley.
On that note I'm currently trying to figure out how to run E85 on my stock PCM. I guess it's a segment on HP tuners, trying to figure it out. I've been watching "the driveway engineer" and "Low buck LS", they're talking about stuff that I was searching for a year ago and couldn't find answers to. Freeware to "hack" your PCM. A lot of this stuff is like a dark art. Swapping PCM's, changing parameters to run different engines or transmissions. Downloaded LS Droid , PCM hammer and universal patcher and trying to figure them out. I've also got HP Tuners but I think the more "hoodrat" freeware allows you to do more in terms of nonstock swaps. I'd like to think that 5 or 6 years down the road I'll know the ins and outs of "Swaps" and will be able to do this stuff easier and cheaper.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by silentbravo
Your pistons are 4.020? MAST only lists 4.070 and 4.005 for the rotating assembly options.

I talked with Hank today, same as you and he said anything other than those 2 options are custom order. Price jumps $700 for custom pistons to $2650 plus the longer wait time is likely.

He also said 10:1 compression is pretty much no problem, they had engines doing well up to 20 psi (not necessarily this rotating assembly, though there customers were reporting good things about this one and boost).
It was a custom order for 4.020 but he said changing the piston shape would add even more cost and time. The .020 pistons didn't change the price that I recall but did add 6 weeks. I also ordered a few other things, ARP fasteners, 8 bolt flywheel, the L8T modified oil gear.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by silentbravo
Your pistons are 4.020? MAST only lists 4.070 and 4.005 for the rotating assembly options.

I talked with Hank today, same as you and he said anything other than those 2 options are custom order. Price jumps $700 for custom pistons to $2650 plus the longer wait time is likely.

He also said 10:1 compression is pretty much no problem, they had engines doing well up to 20 psi (not necessarily this rotating assembly, though there customers were reporting good things about this one and boost).
I tried replying to your PM but it's not showing up, let me know if it came through please. In short the 20 over pistons did not increase the price. It was a little over $2500 including the extra stuff - flywheel, ARP fasteners, oil/timing gear.
The following users liked this post:
silentbravo (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 111 Likes on 94 Posts

Got 2 replies. Thanks, I will probably have to call them back and see. My builder recommended to go with 4.030 just to be sure that my block will clean up and work.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 346 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueHD
Current numbers, 4.020 bore 3.858 stroke, with 70cc comb chambers, and 1cc dish, it will be 10.76:1. If the block and heads don't require too much cleanup.
I know guys get away with bolting LSA's on LS3's that's why I'm OK with it. But I like the margin of error especially since E85 isn't available everywhere. Which is also why I like the idea of 2 pulleys and 2 tunes. One for in town where E85 is available, and a "road trip" pulley.
On that note I'm currently trying to figure out how to run E85 on my stock PCM. I guess it's a segment on HP tuners, trying to figure it out. I've been watching "the driveway engineer" and "Low buck LS", they're talking about stuff that I was searching for a year ago and couldn't find answers to. Freeware to "hack" your PCM. A lot of this stuff is like a dark art. Swapping PCM's, changing parameters to run different engines or transmissions. Downloaded LS Droid , PCM hammer and universal patcher and trying to figure them out. I've also got HP Tuners but I think the more "hoodrat" freeware allows you to do more in terms of nonstock swaps. I'd like to think that 5 or 6 years down the road I'll know the ins and outs of "Swaps" and will be able to do this stuff easier and cheaper.
What gasket? Just get a slightly thicker gasket?
Old 11-03-2023, 07:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,182 Likes on 899 Posts

HPTuners is the way to go. Don't fart around with LSDroid and PCM Hammer and stuff like that. They work and there are people that swear by them but HPTuners just flat out works. One day when they remove features I like I will convert to something else but HPTuners is the way to go.
The freeware does not have many more features than HPT. You do not need to swap PCMs to do anything. Only time you ever need to swap PCMs is if you go Holley or want the P59 PCM which imo is the better choice over the P01 but I am not going to get into that here.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I am with silentbravo on the bore. Going with a 4,030 is way to go. For my LSA build my machine shop suggested 4.030 bore. But to each his own, curious how it will work out.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Disagree, choose the least amount of bore needed. Only bore out to whatever is needed so that you have room to rebuild in the future. Not that a hundredth is going to kill you but...
If you are trying to hit a CI number then do whatever you want. If the cost is astronomically different between those measurements then do what is best for your wallet
The following 4 users liked this post by shakenfake:
68Formula (11-03-2023), strutaeng (11-03-2023), TorqueHD (11-03-2023), wretched73 (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Like I mentioned to each his own. If I have it apart and I am going to trouble to take it to machine shop, buy new internals etc....then I am going to go to biggest bore that is also safe. Could I have done a 408 yes but dont want too.
Old 11-03-2023, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

@The_W Compensator…

Quick Reply: Another LQ4 Project