INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Another 5.3 silverado thread....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 5.3 silverado thread....

I am currently deployed in Iraq. With all the time in the world on my hands I am researching and planning my truck build. Currently i have a 2007 silverado NBS extended cab. I call it an 08 for ease of searching. I have 33s, long tube headers, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, black bear performance programmer and custom tune. Other than that it is stock. Its paid for too lol. I am looking at a cam kit from texas speed and performance but i am lost in the sauce. This is a "DD" but i have a company vehicle so i only drive it once a week just to cruise and be loud. I have found I need to change my gears to 4.10s-no problem. Where do i even start on picking the right cam and stall? Im wanting somthing that sounds amazing and gives me the extra hp too. Ive seen people with 220/220,228r,220/224. What would you guys reccomend for my setup. I dont want to loose all my low end but i know i will loose some. WHERE DO I START?????!!!!
Old 11-29-2018, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Default ?

I would start with a goal how far do you want to take it once you get a bit of speed you always want more
hi my names joel an im a addict....
Old 11-29-2018, 11:21 AM

Lol that i do understand. Just getting the blackbear tune, cold air and exhaust i was in love. I do have a budget but i dont know what it is lol. Im making pretty good per diem for the next few months so im gna put a portion of that towards the truck. I also have a house,wife and 2 kids lol. I would like to do all the work myself also. I would like to be able to pull a small bass boat with it so i dont want to go tooooo over the top. My goal is to find the best cam setup with only upgrading the converter and springs maybe the afm delete. I dont want to change anything with headers or go down that road. I hope ive answerd a few of my own questions.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a nnbs 07 same style as you, paid off, that had the 5.3. I ended up spending $1,100 on the rear axle upgrade, $2,000 (which was cheap) for a built and installed 4l65, and after my cam swap and oil pump failure I’m about 8k (It can be done for less..I know)into my 370 swap..basically have an entire new engine. Now I might get lucky if that 4l65 holds up so I’m preparing to spend another 2-3 thousand on the inevitable 4l80 swap.

What I’m trying to say is if I could do it all over again I would find something 09-13 with the 6.2/6l80/14 bolt (vmax) and start off way ahead of the game. Could have saved 10k, sold my truck for 10k, and own a better vehicle. Seriously consider it before dropping more money into a potential pit that only decreases in value.

This all may sound negative but I’d rather share my first hand experience to have someone not make the same mistakes I did.

or continue enjoying what you currently have
The following users liked this post:
b2sdad (01-18-2019)
Old 11-29-2018, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the input and i have taken that into very serious consideration... so i guess my biggest obsticle to caviet off of that is what would my best setup be to keep factory rear end with updated gears...has leveling kit with 33s on 24s... and also get the most life from the factory tranny... with or without new converter. Im guessing i would be looking in the $2500 range.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Honestly the BTR cam kits are great, they come complete. They’ll let you know if you need a stall or not. You get performance and sound without much compromise.

I went with a custom spec cam and pieced together my set up which resulted in needing a larger stall, more money, you get it.
Have a plan and stick with it.
Wana keep it mellow fun and inexpensive? Imo the btr kit is the way to go. You also won’t need to upgrade your fuel system either.
If you want to haul *** start saving 15-20k and hold on tight. Built engine/trans/rear/fuel system/tuning. Adds up quick.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Check out the btr stage 2/3/4 truck cams on YouTube
Old 11-29-2018, 01:25 PM
Launching!

For the cam kit and rear axle gear swap I think 2500 is an easy do
Old 11-29-2018, 03:10 PM

Ok guys im leaning more towards getting a converter so i can get a higher stage cam. Tell me if im wrong here. I have no problem replacing rods, rocker trunions and springs. Im looking at the dual spring beehive kit from TSP. If i go with a circle D either 2600 or 3200 what would be my biggest difference and what would be a good cam kit to go with this. I am also looking at the kits from BTR but i am the same pickle.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:27 AM

The guys at TSP have really helped me alot. Im looking at the stage 4 beehive cam kit 223/226 111 LSA. With a 3000 stall and AFM delete. Do you guys think i should upgrade the timing chain and sprocket to a double row(will my cover even allow this?) and upgrade oil pump or just go with factory replacements? Or better yet put the old back on?

Quick Reply: Another 5.3 silverado thread....