INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

6.0 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 6.0 questions

I recently purchased a 6.0 out of a 2005 Suburban or Tahoe. I have the computer to reflash my 99 Silverado which currently has a 4.8. The Silverado has a 5 speed and 3.42 gears.

I don't really plan to make this a radical truck. Mainly build the truck up a little to help pull my chevelle to the track.

Questions:

1. Which 6.0 is this? The LQ4 or LQ9? The heads are 317's I believe. The casting on the back of the block is 1255136. Does any on this mean anything in telling the difference?

I do know I could pull the head and the LQ4 has dished pistons and the LQ9 has flat-tops.

2. I plan to install long tube headers and and to reflash the computer. Will this give me around 350 to 370 horse at the flywheel.

3. Would it would be worth while to install a cam? Something like a the GM Hot Cam?

4. If so, would the LQ4 need more compression, I think the stock compression is 9.5 to 1. I believe the LQ9 has compression around 10 to 1.

Any advice and etc would be appreciated.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:18 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should read. theres tons of info on 6.0 swaps. and its a lq4 and the mods just depend on what you want to do?
Old 02-25-2009, 05:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Look smart butt! I have been researching this information on this site and others. I'm just asking for direct information that might could help. Yours don't! By the way get a paint job!!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DAH32
Look smart butt! I have been researching this information on this site and others. I'm just asking for direct information that might could help. Yours don't! By the way get a paint job!!!!
First off, thats the worst way to get any help from this site, you obviously haven't searched much because this is discussed about every other day, there are hundreds of threads on this subject, use the search button and keep looking. and for yer information he wasnt being a smart ***, were all just tired of answering the same questions every other day when all you have to do is search or hell , look down maybe a page at most and you'll see your answers to any questions you might have.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

I recently purchased a 6.0 out of a 2005 Suburban or Tahoe. I have the computer to reflash my 99 Silverado which currently has a 4.8. The Silverado has a 5 speed and 3.42 gears.

I don't really plan to make this a radical truck. Mainly build the truck up a little to help pull my chevelle to the track.

Questions:

1. Which 6.0 is this? The LQ4 or LQ9? The heads are 317's I believe. The casting on the back of the block is 1255136. Does any on this mean anything in telling the difference?

I do know I could pull the head and the LQ4 has dished pistons and the LQ9 has flat-tops.

2. I plan to install long tube headers and and to reflash the computer. Will this give me around 350 to 370 horse at the flywheel.

3. Would it would be worth while to install a cam? Something like a the GM Hot Cam?

4. If so, would the LQ4 need more compression, I think the stock compression is 9.5 to 1. I believe the LQ9 has compression around 10 to 1.

Any advice and etc would be appreciated.

1.Its an LQ4

2.i would think youd be able to gain 25ish hp at the crank with a healthy tune and longtubes/ no cats not to sure about 45hp tho

3.cams are always worth while, it all depends on what you want to do with it. the hot cam is a very small cam for a 5.3 let alone 6.0 if your going threw the trouble of doing a cam most will say to do atleast a 220/220 or around there

4. not sure what yer asking about the comp ratio for? unless you mean for the cam, if thats the case you can leave it as is and just add the cam

and like stated above, use the search button youll find tons of information on the 6.0 they have lots of potential.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for your time and response.

I have used the search alot. Its seems the LQ4 is rated at 325 horse. Then I have seen it is underated and should be around 350 horse. I really don't know what to think.

I kind of interested in bumping up the compression and adding a cam.

I think something along the lines of something that would give me alot of torque. Like 400 to 450 ft lbs and 350 to 375 horse.

How far down in the hole is the piston on these motors? Is it .025 like the older SBC, which I usually work with.

How big are the chambers on the heads? Are they something like 72 cc's.

My plans are for a daily driver. I'm going to be pulling a chevelle around to the back, to and from the track. I'm not looking to race the truck, but I like to have fun on the street with the truck.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Parke10
First off, thats the worst way to get any help from this site, you obviously haven't searched much because this is discussed about every other day, there are hundreds of threads on this subject, use the search button and keep looking. and for yer information he wasnt being a smart ***, were all just tired of answering the same questions every other day when all you have to do is search or hell , look down maybe a page at most and you'll see your answers to any questions you might have.
Sorry about that. You came across as that way.

I have used alot of the search and have found alot of information. However, alot of it somewhat the same information.

I'm new to this site. I usually only work with the older SBC blocks and motors.

Again, my regrets.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Sorry about that. You came across as that way.

I have used alot of the search and have found alot of information. However, alot of it somewhat the same information.

I'm new to this site. I usually only work with the older SBC blocks and motors.

Again, my regrets.
lol i didnt come across anyway since it wasnt me who replied, but i have to watch the back of the old/respected members

but hey,we can all come across as dicks now and then..just make sure you dont jump anyones *** and most people will go a long way to help you around here, its like a big *** family.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:47 AM
12 Second Truck Club

i dont know how telling you too read is coming off as a smart butt? your questions were VERY basic so it really doesn't sound like you have searched much? and if you look i did answer that its a lq4 and even asked you a question about your goals for it? but now i could really care less and if you think my truck needs a paint job??? send me the money

Quick Reply: 6.0 questions