INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

5.3 heads cam and converter

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.3 heads cam and converter

hey guys, ive got a pretty much stock 2005 rcsb sierra with a 5.3 and 4l65e trani. oh and 373 gears. currently the only mods are a vara ram intake and gibson cat back. ive been looking into doing stainless works headers, patriot heads, some kind of cam and TC combo and a tune. i would like to get some oppinions on what the cam and converter combo should be, i tryed searching but didnt really find what i was looking for. does the choice of patriot heads effect which cam and torque converter i should get? any cam and converter suggestions and explanations are real helpful. this truck is also my daily driver so im looking to keep it pretty streetable.

thanks,
chris
Old 04-03-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The intake, heads, camshaft and headers all work together as a symphony of parts to get as much air in and exhaust out as possible. Change one, and you effect the efficiency of the other parts. Best bet is to start with a known...basically this always comes down to what it is you want the truck to do. As a daily driver, you are limited. You can't have a reliable 10 second, 5000lb truck and still expect daily road manners with no change in fuel efficiency. With that said it's best to be totally honest with yourself in what you're after. If you just want a little extra 'pep' from your right pedal, I'd leave your purchases to a new camshaft to take advantage of your free breathing intake and soon-to-come exhaust setup and spend a lot more money on a good tune.

You'll only be out $600-700 compared to double that for new heads, while keeping the fuel efficiency, truck-like throttle response and low end torque all the same with slightly better top end. This setup will require no torque converter purchase nor tranny work, so the life of the transmission stays within spec. Higher stall converters ALWAYS decrease the life of their transmission simply due to the extreme heat added. I would, however, look into a larger transmission cooler mounted behind the air valance or anywhere out in front not blocking the radiator.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

The Thunder Racing TR220 seems to be the popular 5.3 cam....quite a few guys on here have some great results with it....i think your gonna wanna run a 3K stall for it...i would recommend having your transmission done aswell that seems to be one of the weakest links is these trucks...maybe some others can chime in also!
Old 04-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The intake, heads, camshaft and headers all work together as a symphony of parts to get as much air in and exhaust out as possible. Change one, and you effect the efficiency of the other parts. Best bet is to start with a known...basically this always comes down to what it is you want the truck to do. As a daily driver, you are limited. You can't have a reliable 10 second, 5000lb truck and still expect daily road manners with no change in fuel efficiency. With that said it's best to be totally honest with yourself in what you're after. If you just want a little extra 'pep' from your right pedal, I'd leave your purchases to a new camshaft to take advantage of your free breathing intake and soon-to-come exhaust setup and spend a lot more money on a good tune.
i would like to be running high 12s on track nights and hopefully shoot for around 370 horsepower. servos and a transmission cooler would also be going in. does this seem like an achievable goal?

the other thing is would i need to get larger fuel injectors or are my stock ones good enough?
Old 04-05-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Y-B-Slow
i would like to be running high 12s on track nights and hopefully shoot for around 370 horsepower. servos and a transmission cooler would also be going in. does this seem like an achievable goal?

the other thing is would i need to get larger fuel injectors or are my stock ones good enough?
high 12's douable, 370hp gonna take some coin and overall the number you put down means nothing, it's the track time that matters.
last NO your stockers will not handle the job.marine 8.1l are very popular and should be good for more power than the 5.3 can dishout in most cases.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Y-B-Slow

12's out of a 5000lb truck and 370hp needs a miracle. Not even 370 rear wheel horsepower, which equates to 425 flywheel horsepower, could miracle that heavy of a truck down the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds. You're looking at mid 13's realistically.

In this case having your cake and eating it too will not come naturally aspirated. Whatever bit of money you have right now, toss into a savings account to collect interest while you research and save more money for a twin turbo setup or a really nice nitrous kit with forged internals. With the goal you're out to capture, you'll either have to knock 1000lbs off your truck or increase flywheel output by 200hp. This can come from a nitrous setup, or a forced induction setup...money, time and skill will choose.

Also the only thing a "vette" servo will accomplish is increase holding power by increasing the fluid apply area that the tranny fluid has to work on for holding 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. It may increase durability with the increased fluid flow throughout the transmission but your biggest improvement for long term durability will be the transmission cooler. You may have one already from the factory...it's not big enough. Tap into the existing lines and add the biggest cooler you can without blocking the radiator.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

FWIW, I think Inch-Up is giving you some excellent advice.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Go to the fastest trucks list and the drag racing section and you will get plenty of ideas. Good luck, you won't be sorry but it's a money pit. Happy horsepower hunting.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TarheelZ
FWIW, I think Inch-Up is giving you some excellent advice.
I think InchUp is sadly mistaken on his comments lmfao.
Mid 13's gimmie a focking break haha.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by InchUp
12's out of a 5000lb truck and 370hp needs a miracle. Not even 370 rear wheel horsepower, which equates to 425 flywheel horsepower, could miracle that heavy of a truck down the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds. You're looking at mid 13's realistically.

In this case having your cake and eating it too will not come naturally aspirated. Whatever bit of money you have right now, toss into a savings account to collect interest while you research and save more money for a twin turbo setup or a really nice nitrous kit with forged internals. With the goal you're out to capture, you'll either have to knock 1000lbs off your truck or increase flywheel output by 200hp. This can come from a nitrous setup, or a forced induction setup...money, time and skill will choose.

People like you often make me wonder if you ahve any clue as to what you are even talking about.
Are you used to the old 350's or something? Stop posting if you don't know what is really up.
The guy can roll some 4.10 gears,TR220 cam with "stock heads" get full bolt on's IE:Longtubes,ory-pipe,under drive pulley,cai,e-fans,cutout,tb bypass,and a nice stall and hit 12's in a REGCAB truck.
I'd say with a 3k stall it would be tough for 12's 3200 high 12's shoudn't be a problem.
roll a 3600 like the cam needs and mid/high 12's all day.
Also since when did RCSB trucks weigh in at 5K pounds? Ever heard of a scale man? Stop pulling numbers and BS post out of your ***.
Have a nice day and good luck modding to ya.

Quick Reply: 5.3 heads cam and converter