INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

224R vs. 228R

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With either cam, an upgrade in injector size is also needed. I am hitting 105% IDC at/near 5800 rpms. I put down 333h/347t through a 3200 stall, 4.10 gears, and 32" tall tires. There still some more in here once the new injectors get tuned in.

On a side note, I am contemplating putting a GMPP ASA cam in it or getting a custom grind similar in specs with a slighter higher lift.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:54 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say that if you are buying the cam brand new why not buy a custom cam? You will know you're not getting an off the shelf grind, get a custom for your application cam made. Just because TSP sales Comp and you say if you don't like them you must not like Comp cams. That is the biggest line of bullshit. With the lift combos, duration, LSA, and the lobe profiles you could have a Comp cam that was aweful. You aren't buying a Comp cam as much as a TSP spec Comp Cam. You are buying a TSP grind, the have designed the lift, lobe profile, duration, and let you choose the LSA. IMO go custom.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I called Texas Speed today, and after talkin to them, I've decided to go with a 224R on a 112 lsa. I've tuned several bolton trucls and cars, but never any cammed vehicles. I know I'll have to do the Ve, Pe, and Maf tables. I also plan to adjust my shift speed and rpm, but what else do I need to tune for that cam? And will I need bigger injectors? Or should I just look at INJ duty to tell?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
I say that if you are buying the cam brand new why not buy a custom cam? You will know you're not getting an off the shelf grind, get a custom for your application cam made. Just because TSP sales Comp and you say if you don't like them you must not like Comp cams. That is the biggest line of bullshit. With the lift combos, duration, LSA, and the lobe profiles you could have a Comp cam that was aweful. You aren't buying a Comp cam as much as a TSP spec Comp Cam. You are buying a TSP grind, the have designed the lift, lobe profile, duration, and let you choose the LSA. IMO go custom.
just so you know TSP does not have their own lobes...they usually use the XER lobes on these cams....you can spec out a cam of your own and pick your lobes but they do not have their own. TR has their own propriartary lobes through comp but not TSP
Old 04-10-2009, 09:24 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one thing about custom grinds that people don't seem to consider, is that the grind is only as good as the person calling for the specs. If you get someone knowledgeable to spec out a cam for you, that's one thing, but if you're just your average run of the mill gearhead going by opinion that you're gathering on the internet, you might actually be better off going with a proven off the shelf grind that leaves the guesswork out. I was setting out to spec out a cam a while back, and the info that I as asked for included, among other things, desired RPM range, intake runner length and volume, exhaust runner length and volume, intake manifold runner length and volume, intake and exhaust valve size, exhaust header primary length, exhaust collector length, etc. I had actually bought a spare truck manifold to cut open and get the necessary measurements. If you can gather the proper information, and get somebody knowledgeable to spec the cam out for you, by all means go for it.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:41 PM
no title here

When I say go with a custom I mean having someone grind it. My point was that if you say you don't like TSP cams that means you don't like Comp. I was saying that TSP tells Comp what to grind, you can not like TSP cams and think that Comp is the greatest thing since sliced bread. With what Comp offers with lobe profiles, duration, lift, lsa, centerlines, etc your possibilites are endless......like a 5 dollar footlong from Subway, Eat Fresh. Sorry sounded too much like a commercial to pass on it
Old 04-10-2009, 09:58 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

5 dollar foot long lol
Old 04-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

I had a 228R and sold it to get me a custom cam.
226/230 111
Old 04-11-2009, 01:59 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Low_LQ4
I had a 228R and sold it to get me a custom cam.
226/230 111
Those are nice specs for a high revving 6.0 or a stroker, did you spec that out yourself or did someone spec it for you?
Old 04-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Those are nice specs for a high revving 6.0 or a stroker, did you spec that out yourself or did someone spec it for you?
Patrick G did the specs. He's a great guy that has a lot of awesome info to share.

Quick Reply: 224R vs. 228R