INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

2004 Tahoe LT 5.3L 500hp build

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Tahoe LT 5.3L 500hp build

Hey y'all, my name is Joe and I'm new here. Recently purchased a 2004 Tahoe LT 5.3L and I want to build a 500hp motor and a drivetrain that can hold up to it. It's a mostly on road SUV and my daily driver. For the motor I've been looking at the LSA supercharger setups, but I also want to cam it and do heads. This will be a build that will be built on a 5.3 "replacement" motor so that I can still drive around while building the new motor. What would be the best for the lowest buck. Now I can't find anything on upgrades for the drivetrain. It's considered an AWD (?) with the stabilitrak. I wanted to know it's the factory drivetrain would be able to handle 500hp, if not, then what upgrades should I do to it so that it could handle it.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

An over priced built 4L60e may handle the power but I wouldn't want that that transmission with that power level.

I'd go straight for a 4L80e swap if you can. Not sure what needs to be done on the transfer case though.

Get a built rear driveshaft to handle the power and speed, a 3in thick walled steel shaft would work good. Then get rid of the factory G80 locker in the rear end, that's just a ticking time bomb.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
An over priced built 4L60e may handle the power but I wouldn't want that that transmission with that power level.

I'd go straight for a 4L80e swap if you can. Not sure what needs to be done on the transfer case though.

Get a built rear driveshaft to handle the power and speed, a 3in thick walled steel shaft would work good. Then get rid of the factory G80 locker in the rear end, that's just a ticking time bomb.
Any suggestions on what heads/ cam I should look into our keep the stock vortec heads and get them ported? Any thought on engine internals?
Old 08-13-2017, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Stock heads with any form of boost can hit 400-500hp no problem with a blower/turbo and a nice camshaft.

It's up to you if you want to spend the extra cash. Or just slap a set of 243/799 heads that will bump compression and flow better than the 706 heads. Stock bottom end being a 2004 is a toss up on the GEN 3 or GEN 4 rods. The GEN 3 rods can do 500-550whp before you want to worry about upgrading where as the GEN 4 rods can handle over 800+ hp easy. Again you can buy high end rods and piston if you want but for the power you want either stock rod/piston can do it.