Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Who went turbo and how do you like it ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking more into it, i found spike performance out of texas sells a turbo kit for around $4500. There kit looks very solid. I also have a good buddy who builds them per request. told me right around 9psi you are out of fuel. He keeps them around 7-8 psi and makes normally just shy of 500whp.
Im looking for reliability. I dont want to worry about blowing it up any time i decide to wot. I would suggest if you are in the market take a look a spike performance, there work speaks for itself.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

LT4 fueling upgrade time
Old 11-02-2017, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo’s are simply awesome. I think they are more fun to drive personally. That feeling of the turbo spooling never ever gets old. On top of that they offer great fuel economy and they make the exhaust not so obnoxious.

Pros
-underhood temps aren’t really that big of issue
-fun as hell
-more power potential
-more efficient power production
-easier on drivetrain since it’s not instant torque
-ability to have multiple boost settings on the fly, like gear dependant boost.
-sounds they make, omg the sounds of an aftermarket turbo kit, glorious

Cons
-complicated
-less reliable but only due to complication, stuff just goes wrong. Between the charge pipes, wastegate, intercooler, o2 sensors, oil lines, water lines, and the turbo itself, you will likely just have more down time than a supercharger. Not because of a real serious problem, just because of something stupid. Install quality is much more important, it’s not like a supercharger you just bolt on and call it a day.
-cost. You can piece together a turbo kit for cheap. You need to know where to get everything. Exhaust manifolds are the most important. Then you need to figure out all the charge piping and intercooler placement. It’s not the end of the world though, it’s definitely doable with enough research. armageddon kit is like $10k, screw that unless you’re shooting for big horsepower

-end of the day, superchargers are just so simple and work well and are relatively cheap compared to well engineered turbo kit. Especially for trucks with awd that could put that immediate low end power to good use. If cost was not a factor, turbo all day.