PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-k2xx-trucks-general-discussion-221/)
-   -   Who went turbo and how do you like it ? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-k2xx-trucks-general-discussion-221/who-went-turbo-how-do-you-like-550730/)

MrJimi1121 10-27-2017 02:58 PM

Who went turbo and how do you like it ?

Was tossing the idea around about boosting the truck and i was trying to see reviews on going to turbo route. Not looking for drag trucks, more daily drivers. What turbo did you go with and how is the reliability ?
I myself is thinking of just going single with about 8psi.

Atomic 10-27-2017 03:49 PM

If you want less than 10psi just slap a blower on it.

big-joe 10-27-2017 04:25 PM

Really trying to decide myself. Just want enough to beat your average diesel. I am leaning towards the lsa blower simply because i have headers and a complete stainless exhaust that i am really happy with. But honestly with the trick/ K.B. kits, the turbo route almost looks easier. With the turbo, my factory 78mm TB would likely be fine as well. I know the blower is there immediately, but since i am not drag racing the truck, i wont be hammering it from a stop too often i dont think......

ZO6Ted 10-27-2017 10:02 PM

When I had my Dmax they were saying much faster than low 8's in the 1/8th was about it. High 7's was the edge of blowing the engine. May be different now no idea. Only ran my truck 1 time almost 2 years ago and ran time in sig with 1 easy mod. Tuned since and I believe its for sure 7.8x-79x but the local track is closed now. Maybe Ennis this season. I wholeheartedly agree with Atomic and he sure as hell knows.

fillpot 10-27-2017 11:45 PM

Not many kits out there right now is it ?

GR8TALK 10-28-2017 05:04 PM

I’m running a .76mm on my 15. I like it. It’s fun and it’s a daily driver. I definatley think for the purpose of street driving the blower is the better option. I like the prochargers but the positive displacement has strong merits for street use. It’s a toss up but if you don’t plan on going over 10lbs i like the blower over a turbo.

Boost-freak 10-29-2017 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by fillpot (Post 5422795)
Not many kits out there right now is it ?

yeah armageddon twins or custom build .

smokinlmm 10-29-2017 08:31 AM

Blower for daily, turbo for toy. The underhood temps go nuts on turbo applications that are seeing DD use. The oil system on these trucks was never designed for the demands of cooling oil that is super heated by a turbo. I agree the initial price tag of the turbo kits is attractive but once you have it all put together you will have nearly if not as much into a turbo install done right as you would a nice PD blower kit. And once your over the blower it's worth wayyy more money than a used turbo kit...

Noah Burns 10-30-2017 09:29 PM

my 2014 rcsb didn't need a blower or turbo to overhaul diesel trucks on the road or track... but either one of those would make it more fun for sure!

arthursc2 10-31-2017 10:18 AM

I went from a P1SC to a TVS 1900

My car is turbo and thats cool and all, but its a 4cyl 2800lb car that can rev to 8k. But for a truck with a trailer, and a lot of mass by itself, blower all day. Wouldnt hesitate or think twice about it. Plus V8s (IMO) are all about that axle breaking torque. I dont care if your truck makes 8000000hp at 1 million rpm if you cant get that high.

But if it makes 450lb/ft at 2500rpm? Thats what feels fast and moves trailers.